Megaflo HE and Ideal ICOS HE24 Boiler issues!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would be greatful for your advice!

I have a Megaflo HE and ICOS HE 24 system (4 years old), it has 2 heating zones (2 x 2 port switches (Danfos) + 2 thermostats and a 2 port honeywell switch 282848 which i believe is the motorised valve to the Megaflo coil heat exchanger . Just having returned from 8 months in a sandy enviroment I've noticed that the Boiler is not switching to stand-by but staying on "C" with the flashing LED when given a demand for HW. To me this indicates that it is at its thermal cut off point but is still getting a heating demand from somewhere - Roger so far!!

I've done some fault diagnois, if you switch the programmer off (deselect cont) on HW or CH the boiler goes back to standby. On the CH side with the thermostats they work fine to, it is just when hot water is selected that the boiler will not go back to standby - UNTIL RECENTLY - as it is now it is also doing it with the CH. I've checked the 2 port CH valves, they seem fine (although not sure how they would effect both HW & CH). I did suspect the Megaflow indirect thermal cutout (now replaced with no change), then considered the wiring - however the system has been working faultlessly for 4 years!

This leads me to the 22mm motorised valve to the Megaflo coil heat exchanger, can anyone tell me exactly what this does and what the symptoms of it failing are - would it cause a continuous HW/ CH demand to the boiler? Don't worry I'm well aware of the issues of an unvented system and will get a suitably qualified plumber to change major parts, I would just like to understand the system to get rid of the fustration of not knowing!

As i said the room thermostats (honeywell CM927s) seem to be working correctly and the fault initially started on the HW demand to the boiler but as since progressed to the CH demand to.

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards

Steve

Sponsored Links
Right first things first, are you competent to electrical fault find

Mearly turning things on and off won't give an indication backfeeds etc are present.

The isar/icos will show a demand I.e C flashing if 15v or more is present on your switched live. So it's a case of tracing power back to locate source of feed. A good Rgi/sparks is needed my friend

Hope this helps

Hi all,

Don't worry I'm well aware of the issues of an unvented system and will get a suitably qualified plumber to change major parts, I would just like to understand the system to get rid of the fustration of not knowing!

Regards

Steve

Its all very well saying that. But you have apparently already replaced a safety ndevice on the unvented yourself. Of course it was not at fault which makes me doubt your diagnostic skills.

My advice is to get a competent and qualified person to diagnose the problem.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back