Megaflo system discharging intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Megaflo CL210HE unvented hot water system.

When the hot water is switched on, I get water trickling out from the discharge pipe. I have followed the procedure in the Installation Manual to recharge the air volume. When I do that, the system is fine for a few days, but then the water starts to come out again.

I can see the water does not come from the Temperature/Pressure Relief Value as the turndish area is dry and the water is not hot, so water must be seeping out from the Expansion Relief Valve.

I attach photos of my system.

Any help to cure the problem will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the T&P valve may be jammed on its seat.

However, any serious work on these cylinders should be done by a G3 certified person so on account of the safety issues involved.

If you have correctly reformed the bubble then I cannot guess whats wrong based on what you have posted.

It could be DANGEROUS if the T&P valve is jammed !

Tony

I am still learning about how post questions on the Forum. The picture are on http:/www.diynot.com/network/gillpeer/albums.

How can one insert picture in the actual message?

Sponsored Links

You could try clicking the 6 Bar relief valve a few times and that might solve the problem.

I doubt it however as I think there is something else wrong but as yet I have not guessed what that might be.

This is a genuine Megaflow with an integral air bubble isn't it?

Tony

You could try clicking the 6 Bar relief valve a few times and that might solve the problem.

I doubt it however as I think there is something else wrong but as yet I have not guessed what that might be.

This is a genuine Megaflow with an integral air bubble isn't it?

Tony

Yes, it is a genuine Magaflo.

Which is the 6 Bar relief valve. Do you mean the expansion valve? I have had a plumber who has already tried that but to no avail.

There is nothing called an "expansion valve".

Its a pressure relief valve and has a black knob and is just below the blue disc!

Was this "plumber" registered for unventeds?

Why did he not diagnose the fault?

Tony

There is nothing called an "expansion valve".

Its a pressure relief valve and has a black knob and is just below the blue disc!

Was this "plumber" registered for unventeds?

Why did he not diagnose the fault?

Tony

That's the valve which he opened and closed a few times.

As to why he didn't diagnose the fault, he said the system should now be fine.

Perhaps, I should get you to come and check out my system.

Thanks for your quick responses.

Ive had one of these that discharges when the system is heating..... wasnt the T&P Relief (I was there after the 3rd had been installed)
The internal air bubble had been re-established numerous times by people and what it turned out to be was the actual internal 'piston' style expansion part had perforated - new cylinder time.

Also check for any passing mixer taps as Ive seen then pass back down the hot if the system isnt correctly balanced.

The internal "piston" as you call it is only really a float whose purpose is to reduce the contact between the air and water thus slowing the dissolving of the air.

A letting by mixer tap is a common problem and may well be the cause in this case. It was the problem in an annoying case that I went to deal with.

A mechanical stethoscope may well be able to "hear" a leakage.

It could probably be ( bodge ) cured by a non return valve before each mixer tap.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back