Megaflo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bathroom is in dire need of a complete re-furb. To gain extra space I am planning to remove the hot water cylinder & airing cupboard currently in the bathroom & get a megaflo installed & site it in the loft. This will also rid me of an old old asbestos cold water tank.
Can the megaflo go in the roof space?
What are the diadvantages of this ?
My current system is a gas fired boiler, with indirect vented CH & HW.
My boiler should cope, & I know i have to check the size of the incoming water main, flow rate & pressure.
Any advice would be apreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes it can go in the loft, but it has to be boarded, lit (properly) and the joist have to take the weight, which is not a spread out as the cw cistern.

The water main also has to travel further in a larger pipe otherwise you'll get flow problems.

There are other brands other than Megaflo out there too.

Cheers Dan

Might have to look into the siting of the cylinder a little more.
Lighting is not a problem. Boarding can be done. But whether the joists can take the load is another question.

Will the local building inspector visit ? I hope not as I have just re-wired without notifying them ( I have had it tested by a mate )

The installer will hold a certificate that should allow him to self certify.

Otherwise yes, you will need a visit.

If your electrics are "OK" then why wouldn't your mate notify it for you so that won't matter if you get a visit?

Sponsored Links
One important consideration when installing an unvented in the loft is the safety discharge pipes.

You must have a visible tun dish somewhere, and the end of the pipe must be discharged externally in a safe position, E>G> low level or in a gully.

Thanks Chaps

With regards to my rewire, I am a bit of a rebel & feel that having to pay my hard earned cash to a local authority is a waste - I got my new dist. board for the equivilant that I would have to of paid.

The discharge pipe would not be a problem as the cylinder will be next to an outside wall & could even be piped into a gully, although it will look a bit ugly coming down the rear of the house.

One last question, can the tundish be located in the loft? I know there is a set dimension for its location, but I do not go into the loft on a regular basis. If there was a problem & the system was discharging I supose I might here it from with in the house. I would have thourght that the tundish would have to be located some where more visible.

Regards

Torn.

I think you can get away with the tundish in the loft as long as the termination point was both safe AND visible.

But your installer will know the measurements.

No problems with tundish in the loft. It is an air break more than a visible warning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back