Megaflo

Thanks.

Thought softener was meant to reduce limescale? Was asking as I read water softeners can reduce pressure. We have an H2 Options smart meter. Attached is picture of debris engineer found when she opened hand held shower.

It is a new bathroom, attached picture of the hoses under the sink (which now cross over, in order to get hot and cold the right way around!) Although this wouldn't explain low pressure/flow in shower.

Plumber could get into the shower heads but not the sink tap.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Okay not sure my photos are appearing ..? Got them in my album how do I attach to a post ..?[/img]

Some basins don't have filters, stone have them, bizarrely too late - in the spout. Others have them integral with the cartridge.

Impossible to say from your pics.

Sinks flexi's look OK there, but doesn't eliminate the problem being further upstream.

Sponsored Links
I'll tell you what I think, I've just picked up on this thread.

You may well have 2.8bar static pressure. But I suspect the flow rate into your property is poor. If you have an outside tap, or a non-monoblock tap mixer in the kitchen, get a bucket or a measuring jug. Time how long it takes to fill say 5 litres of water. Then convert that into litres per minute.

I suspect you are seeing under 10 litres/min downstairs. With additional height and the flow restrictors in these taps (never heard of that make, but then I only do boilers and water boosting) you might well end up with only 4l/m upstairs.

If this turns out to be the case, then you have been mis-sold an unvented cylinder. Solutions would include a new water supply pipe or an accumulator. I know the latter would work because we know your inlet pressure. The water supply upgrade success will very much depend on the flow rate available in the street.

Finally, an ion exchange water softener will reduce the working flow rate.

Thanks.

Another thing I have noticed is that the water coming out of the tap decreases after flushing the toilet. A quick search on the Internet seems to suggest this could mean a problem with our water pressure. (I had assumed flow - but I still don't think I'm properly understanding the whole flow vs pressure thing!)

Where does this leave me ... ? I thought the Megaflo should have sorted any pressure problems - does this mean it may not be set up correctly?

No it means that there isnt enough water coming into your house. If you took the measurements I suggested the speculation would end.

I haven't checked the flow into my property because the issue appears to be one connected to pressure, that is why I was asking about the Megaflo.

like most people you are confusing pressure with flow rate the amount of water flowing out of your tap when turned on is FLOW RATE not pressure, forget what the standing pressure of your supply is it means nothing, is only a real problem if its too high

Thanks. Will get Thames Water in to try to rectify mains flow if low.

Was just asking about pressure because on the web people seem to be talking about loss of water when flush toilet as a pressure rather than flow issue.

I do this for my day job, not my web persona. A Megaflo cannot boost pressure, it is a stainless steel can, water goes in the bottom from the mains.....and comes out of the top. There is no magic inside.

You can disregard my next piece of advice too. Thames Water will not do anything for you.

Okay. What does a Megaflo do?

Thames Water can supply new mains supply I think, if lead or iron mains might be possible to improve flow.

Clearly I am not a plumber, just trying to understand the advice so i can fix my issue.

Megaflo simply is connected to your mains water at the bottom through the safety device that ensures that it never goes above 3bar, as water is entering at 3bar it will leave the draw off at 3bar. Obviously if the inbound is lower say 1.5bar then it will ONLY leave at 1.5bar. Also remember that whilst you are drawing off the megaflo is also filling at the same time so in reality could be lower (dynamic flow). Do you get it now?

Yes ... Thanks!

Just got confused with the web saying pressure was a problem re toilet issue. But it seems it is flow.

What do you mean "remember while you are drawing off the Megaflo is also filling at the same time so in reality dynamic pressure will be lower"?

There is no 'reality' in that statement at all. It is a complete nonsense.
No wonder the OP is confused.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back