Megaflow airgap and water running ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2 year house with a Megaflow system installed. It has been faultless but recently we have been hearing water running somewhere in the house. It happens at random and lasts for a just a few seconds. There is no sign of any leaks, I have checked all the toilet valves etc and no taps leaks.

That leaves the boiler or the Megaflow.

The condensing boiler is not showing any signs of leaks nor are the radiators.

I have just regenerated the Magaflow. I have to admit that I had not done it before and it took quite a long time for all the gurgling to stop. I gather this should be done probably every year so it was well over-due.

Any thoughts on where the running water noise could be coming from? If there was a problem with the Megaflow air bubble leaking would this cause random quick burst of water into the tank?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the safety discharge pipe out side from the megaflo and I assume the system boiler?

Also check the megaflo tundish for and signs that water has been passing through it.

As yo have now recharged the megaflo I would wait and see if it happens again.

There have been some reported problems with the diaphragm on some of these, which is why a lot of other manufacturesr stick to a seperate expansion vessel.

Hi, by Tundish, do you mean the exposed overflow that gusshes water as you keep the temp/press valve open during airgap regeneration?

If so, I will keep an eye on it after it has dried out from the regeneration.

Thanks I'll also take a look at the outside overflow if I can find it !

It's a bit concerning that the diaphram has caused problems as our Megaflow is now over 2 years old and presumably out of warranty.

I'm away from the house for a week now so I'll check when I get back.

Yes that is what the tundish is.

I have only heard of a few megaflo probs, notinh that I would personally worry about if I had one, Although I don't fit them any more!

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
Yes that is what the tundish is.

I have only heard of a few megaflo probs, notinh that I would personally worry about if I had one, Although I don't fit them any more!

This brand of cylinder doesn't have a diaphragm. There is an air gap at the top of the cylinder, which is what you recharged. If water is discharging then something else is at fault and you need someone who is 'competent' to find out why.

When you get your boiler serviced, ask the guy if they have the G3 ticket to work on unvented cylinders.

Also anually is not often enough to reform bubble. Do it every 6 months.

Unvented systems are a great sourtce of revenue in hyper expensive replacement parts. Fantastic for manufacturers.

I was refering to the bubble with the internal floating baffle. Thought diaphragm was easier term to use for op :oops:

As it stops after a few seconds,is it just the pressure valve reaching pressure?
This sounds a bit like bus doors :) and tapers off till silent,lasting no more than about 10 seconds

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back