Megaflow - External or Internal Expansion ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at Megflow sylinder, is it better to have External or Internal Expansion and is there a way to fit it so it is better for a water meter ?

Thanks All

Sponsored Links
External expansion is more reliable.

Megaflos are designed to leak after a few years.

Thanks the other worry I have is that the rest of the house has old 15mm copper pipes and I really don't want them to leak after the install. Is this common ?

I have had a new 25mm mains put in but have been told there is a chance that old pipes can leak. So just wanted to know from all the installs you have done if this is a rarity ?

Sponsored Links
If your concerned about the pipes leaking, get them pressure tested before the install, at least that way if any problems are exposed there will be a minimal amount of water in the pipes.

Also, look at other unvented cylinders besides Megaflo cylinders, OSO have a very neat solution to external expansion vessels with the Super S, and it's a very good cylinder too

very very rare that pipes will leak. Most common issues are toilet float valves need adapting to high pressure and connections to basins and baths are most common leak points, and any cheap chrome iso valves.

Megaflos are designed to leak after a few years.

Simond, not questioning your expertise, just curious as I have fitted a few Megaflows and have yet to encounter leak problems apart from loss of expansion facility if cylinder service overdue. What component leaks on the cylinder?

I would have thought, perhaps wrongly, that Megaflow is though expensive, preferable as there is no expansion vessel to change. I have a stock of expansion vessels when EVs fail on UV cylinders

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back