Megaflow passing a lot of water when recharging air space..

R

ryoc

Normally when I recharge the air space in our Megaflow (approx. 8 years old, in the loft), holding open the valve, a lot of bubbling from within and a little water passes the open visible area. Recently, when holding open the valve, a solid stream of water pours out for over a minute, then a little hissing. Is this normal? I have put posts on here previously as I get a lot of noise from the boiler/Megaflow area during the night. Much louder than normal boiler operating sound. Not sure what's causing it. Maybe a Megaflow related problem? Thanks - :confused:

Sponsored Links
It could be the baffle inside isn't recharging.Does the temp/pressure relief valve intermittently drip?If so then its either new cylinder time or cut an external one in on the hot supply.
This is all if you are recharging correctly of course.

It could be the baffle inside isn't recharging.Does the temp/pressure relief valve intermittently drip?If so then its either new cylinder time or cut an external one in on the hot supply.
This is all if you are recharging correctly of course.

last time I spoke to heatrae sadia about an external expansion vessel on a megaflo i was told it's not allowed

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. There is no dripping from the valve. I am getting loud noises from the Megaflow area (in the loft) during the night, when the boiler is not in use (except for heating the towel rail, seems to work independently from the time switch?). Recharged again to today, in accordance with instructions on the tank. Steady flow of water from the valve for approx. one minute, with no hissing or gurgling..

Do you have a backfeed from for instance, a shower mixer?

Sorry, not really sure what a 'back feed' is, but there is a power shower in the bathroom which I guess is fed from the megaflow. Cheers - Paul

Back feed is where a thermostatic mixer has been fitted witout non return valves. This allows mains water to feed back through the hot suppply when the hot pressure is relieved by turning off the mains feed into the megaflow

I have been advised by Heatrae Sadia that the problem could be caused by a blocked strainer in the Cold Water Combination Valve, and this could need cleaning. There is an allen key attached to the valve, is it a diy job to clean it? Switch off mains supply and take the end off the valve?

Also mentioned was balancing the hot & cold.. :confused:

OK, thanks for that. I will call in some professional help.. I need to get this sorted so we can all get some sleep... Cheers - :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back