Megaflow unvented cylinder leaking - suspected to be from immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just visited a (slightly elderly) lady friend who lives on her own and she announced she'd just noticed a leak from the cylinder. (She does have it serviced annually and it had recently been done). A quick look showed it was coming from the lower edge of the grey inspection cover over the immersion heater (the one with one screw holding it on).

I called a local heating firm that I knew was reputable and who has an out of hours number and he advised to turn off the blue quarter turn isolating valve - which slowed the leak to a manageable drip - and he asked for some photos ... which I sent ... and he thought it almost certain to be the immersion heater washer that either needs nipping up or needs replacing.
He said he'd recently done one on a nearby property (new build Bovis housing estate about 6 years old).
The upshot is it's all out of my hands now and the lady is no longer flooding her ground floor toilet and we have a reputable company who will deal with it as soon as they can. He said they might need to order the washer.

I've always had a bit of an aversion towards unvented cylinders despite the many proponents on this site, and almost everywhere else.

I guess unvented cylinders (along with the ubiquitous combi boiler) are the systems of choice for the majority nowadays but I would just ask if it's an acknowledged issue or was it a one off and maybe she was a bit unfortunate, but it could well be an insurance claim as the water has leaked under the fitted vinyl floor covering.

Sponsored Links
Leaks can happen anywhere.

The fact it was an unvented cylinder isn't relevant. Could have been the same on a vented cylinder, or some part of a combi boiler, or any fitting on any other part of a hot water system. Or cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back