megane 2 coolant change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys - time of the year to change the coolant in my megane 2 1.5 dci...how do you do it ?..ta

Sponsored Links
Get the old coolant out by removing the radiator bottom hose, and replacing that horrible spring clip with a jubilee type one. Make sure the rad cap and expansion bottle cap is removed first.
Flush out the system as best you can using a hose - wash the expansion bottle out too.
Reconnect the bottom hose and fill up with 50% antifreeze water mix. Tap water is fine but some say that deionised water is best. Fill slowly from the main radiator cap. Squeeze the hoses as you do this to help expel air bubbles.
Check for any cooland bleed screws - sometimes on the heater rad top hose and the thermostat housing - but they do vary! If you find some, crack them open until water appears.
When the main rad is brim full, start up - there's a good chance the level will fall so keep replenishing - as the thermostat opens the level will likely fall some more. Either way, keep the rad brimmed.
When you are happy with that, put the main rad cap on, and fill the expansion bottle to the max mark. Run the engine up to temperature with the heater on, and repeatedly check the coolant levels over the next few days. The main rad cap must only be opened when the engine is cold, and it must be completely full to overflowing when you put the cap back on.
John :)

ta mate..when you say "fill slowley from the radiator cap"..i dont have a radiator cap....just two hoses, top and bottom...the rad gets filled up from putting water into the expansion tank by removing the plastic cap??.....can i fill it from the top hose on the rad ?...i tried to find the bleed valves but cant seem to locate them on my 1,5 dci engine..

Ok mate no problem if there's no filler on yours.....depends on the application!
It usually a good idea to unbolt the expansion bottle if you can, and tie it up slightly higher than the main rad.....it should oblige! Still fill the system slowly, squeezing the hoses to help purge any air.
If there are no bleed valves (i.e a tyre valve cap, often enough) then the system will self bleed. Sorry I haven't got a dci in just now - our own (Nissan - with rad cap) is away at the moment.
Check the heater as soon as you can - its this that fails first if the coolant level is low.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back