Megane Firing Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday my 51 plate 1.6 16v megane started spluttering. It sounds as though the engine is only firing on 2 cylinders. Very lumpy, very shakey. I changed the plugs and measured the resistance of the coils ( all 9 ohms ). The engine improved briefly but after a short run the engine management light is now flashing. Is there anything else I can check before resorting to using a garage.
This is the 3rd failure in as many months, first the air conditioning pump then an electric window and now the engine.

Sponsored Links
A very common problem!!! Your coil packs will prob need replacing, if the fabrication date burnt into the side of the coil pack`s is if I remember correctly 330 - 3 or below then they are in the faulty range and I think Renault are still replacing them on the OTS (Renault Recall/Product update).

The number etched into each coil is " 247 1 " so I guess they are suspect. Have topped up the fuel level which was low, just to make sure that side of things was OK, I still got the same fault. Interestingly the engine starts OK and runs for about 10 seconds or so before starting to cough and from then on gets progressively worse. I guess the coil problem is prevalent when running and not initially when cold ?

Most likely to be the coil packs. Think they we're around £50 each when i bought them a couple of years ago.
10 minute job to fit, but remember to put some sealant round them (ask at the renault parts desk and they'll show you where) or the damp will get into them and knacker them again

Sponsored Links
Dont forget - before shelling out for them try and get them done under warranty :)

Back