Megger vs Insulation tester?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A quick question for you sparkies out there...

What is the difference between a megger installation tester, and an insulation tester (like the fluke 1507)?

From what ive read, the insulation tester does the same thing and more, but at half the price or less.

When would you use one over the other?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Megger is simply a popular brand of insulation tester, the "Hoover" of insulation testers if you like.

You should also be aware that insulation testers are available as just that, but more commonly these days, they're combined into multifunction testers that also do continuity, loop impedance and RCD trip time.

As above, but you should also be aware that a lot of places use the term INSTALLATION TESTER as a synonym for multi-function tester
see here for example: https://cpc.farnell.com/megger/mft1735/multifunction-tester-3-phase/dp/IN09209 , its not a term I particually like because it looks too much like Insulation tester on skim reading but it would be hard to say that its incorrect to do so

I'm not sure if the cable analysis meters data cabling guys use also gets the same term applied to a completely different instrument?

I have an old Mega can't remember model number some 50 years old, and also have a new insulation tester VC60B.jpg around 5 years old, both with test insulation, but the Mega also tests low ohms with the 200 mA required, however the new meter cost £35 where the Mega likely back in the 80's when I got it likely cost around £150.

But I use my meter for DIY, and I have no need to have any paperwork to say calibrated, they both give nearly the same reading when using a 1 MΩ resistor so as far as I am concerned both do the same job. As to low ohms my standard multi-meter does not use between 4 V and 24 V, d.c. or a.c., and a short-circuit current of not less than 200 mA. Diffrence line neutral 8 Feb 24 reduced.jpg However it is good enough for most DIY work, I don't have a loop impedance tester, it died, but I can borrow one when required.

As to calibration in the main meters are not calibrated they either pass or fail to fall into the range permitted, if they fail it's a new meter job. However one would hope meters can be calibrated. But I have never tried to calibrate one, so what is the big point when using a meter what ever meter it is for your job, is if likely to drift beyond the limits, and if it does can it be corrected?

It also raises the point if one finds it is out of the permitted range, what does one do? If it has not been calibrated for a year, does one return to all jobs done in the last year and retest? I would always test a know socket for loop impedance at least once a week, and had a 1 MΩ resistor to test the insulation tester, and for voltage I had a collection of meters and would look to see if they all show the same. So when my loop tester failed I only had 2 measurements which had been made with it since tested on the socket with known result.

At £35 if my insulation gives bad results I will buy another, at £1000 I want to send it for repair and calibration. What would be of interest is to hear how many people have sent meters away for calibration and actually been told it was out of spec by x amount and this has now been corrected?

I have only had one meter actually a PAT tester where I have sent it away (second time) and was told it was set to an old standard and was passing items at 100 kΩ (I think from memory) and it could not be changed to the new standard which was 1 MΩ so I would need a new PAT tester, in 2000 this was, and the same calibration house had pass it as OK 5 months earlier when it was also 1 MΩ as a pass.

Which begs the question why bother with calibration houses? However I have never opened up a insulation tester, so have no idea how easy to calibrate, and it is the ability to calibrate which is why we pay high prices for the instruments. So who has had a meter go out of calibration and had it repaired, rather than by new?

Sponsored Links
Not clear yet?

What is the difference between a megger installation tester, and an insulation tester
One is a brand name multi-function device and one is a particular type of electrical tester.
Like asking what is the difference between a Hoover cooker and an oven?

A Meggar installation tester is capable of testing various parts of the installation - continuity/insulation, loop impedance tests, RCD tests and possibly more.

As said, people use the word Megger wrongly like Hoover - to refer to using any make.

and an insulation tester (like the fluke 1507)?From what ive read, the insulation tester does the same thing and more, but at half the price or less.
No, an insulation tester, whether Meggar, Fluke or any other make, only tests the continuity/insulation (they go together); not any of the other tests - hence the price.

When you want to do the tests the other one can't do.

One is a brand name multi-function device and one is a particular type of electrical tester.
To be fair, as far as I am aware, the original 'Meggers' were (for a fair time) only insulation testers (not 'multifunction'), starting with the 'wind up' ones - hence, I suppose, why we have seen some people create the verb "to megger", meaning, specifically, to undertake an insulation resistance test (just like the verb "to hoover" ;) )

Megger are the company who made the first portable insulation test meters, and the term Megger became synonomous with an insulation test meter, in a similar way to the term Hoover became synonymous with vacuum cleaner. However, just as Hoover don't *just* make Vaccum cleaners, megger don't *just* make insulation resistance testers.

To fill out Electricial installation certificates or condition reports in the UK, one generally requires

* Insulation resistance measurements
* Low-ohms resistance measurements.
* Loop impedance/PFC measurements.
* RCD tests.

These can be, and historically were, seperate instruments, but nowadays I get the impression that most sparkies, doing work on electrical installations, use a multifunction tester that combines all of them.

The Fluke 1507 seems to be more aimed at people working on industrial (and maybe also HVACR) equipment. It does low-ohms measurements and insulation resistance measurements and has some fancier insulation resistance measurements modes, but it lacks RCD test and loop impedance measurements, so extra equipment would be needed to certify an installation.

To be fair, as far as I am aware, the original 'Meggers' were (for a fair time) only insulation testers (not 'multifunction'), starting with the 'wind up' ones - hence, I suppose, why we have seen some people create the verb "to megger", meaning, specifically, to undertake an insulation resistance test (just like the verb "to hoover" ;) )
Yes, but also to be fair, the OP specifically asked about the "megger installation tester".

As to calibration in the main meters are not calibrated they either pass or fail to fall into the range permitted, if they fail it's a new meter job. However one would hope meters can be calibrated. But I have never tried to calibrate one, so what is the big point when using a meter what ever meter it is for your job, is if likely to drift beyond the limits, and if it does can it be corrected?

Older instruments, could be calibration adjusted. Modern ones generally cannot be adjusted.

It also raises the point if one finds it is out of the permitted range, what does one do? If it has not been calibrated for a year, does one return to all jobs done in the last year and retest? I would always test a know socket for loop impedance at least once a week, and had a 1 MΩ resistor to test the insulation tester, and for voltage I had a collection of meters and would look to see if they all show the same. So when my loop tester failed I only had 2 measurements which had been made with it since tested on the socket with known result.

I maintain a set of standards, so I can check the calibration of my equipment. During my checks, I find that equipment is generally accurate, or wildly inaccurate.

I maintain a set of standards, so I can check the calibration of my equipment. During my checks, I find that equipment is generally accurate, or wildly inaccurate.
After my problem with PAT tester that is what I did, and yes when my loop tester failed it did go wildly inaccurate.
Older instruments, could be calibration adjusted. Modern ones generally cannot be adjusted.
That is what I suspected, and I use to have a case with three test instruments so if one went faulty I had not lost the lot.

But can get a cheap insulation tester at £35, but the low ohm ohm meter, loop impedance tester and RCD tester there do not seem to be any cheap versions.

That is true. My point was somewhat more 'general'
... and could have added... the widespread generalisation of a term which initially had a very specific meaning sometimes becomes ';correct terminology'; ...

One of the best examples is "vaccine" (and hence also "vaccination"(). Today, it is regarded as the totally correct term for any substance administered in the name of immunisation, although it originally related very specifically to the first-ever immunisation, which consisted of administration of the Vaccinia virus (probably 'cow pox virus') to provide protection against smallpox.

Some times no one has a clue if the correct name is used, we generally call an air volatility cleaner a vacuum cleaner which is clearly wrong as they don't produce a vacuum.

Some times no one has a clue if the correct name is used, we generally call an air volatility cleaner a vacuum cleaner which is clearly wrong as they don't produce a vacuum.
You are obviously strictly correct, but we accept that, for example, a "vacuum pump" is a pump that attempts to create a vacuum.

If one gets too pedantic about use of the word vacuum, when a true vacuum is effectively unattainable,one ends up using the words like "suck" and "suction" - words which used to drive my Physics teachers mad, since they imply the existence of (non-existent) 'negative pressure' :)

But what on earth is an "air volatility cleaner"?

Kind Regards, John

A quick question for you sparkies out there...

What is the difference between a megger installation tester, and an insulation tester (like the fluke 1507)?

From what ive read, the insulation tester does the same thing and more, but at half the price or less.

Thanks
I picked up a used meggerinsulation tester on ebay, recalibrated by the firm that regularly sells them after they are deemed outof date. It has worked fine on the few occasions I have used it, and was a lot cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back