What tester?............again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I'm sorry, I'm asking the same question again.

Still not made my mind up which tester to go for to get used to before I start the training.

I'm put off the HT/Martindale due to the EFLI resolution of 1 ohm

The rcd auto test sounds a good idea so that seems to put out the megger

Looks like I'm pointed to the Fluke 1652, is it worth the extra £110 for the 1653 to be able to download the results? Does anyone use that facility? and what about the added earth test function. I am looking to concentrate on domestic work.

Any useful thoughts?

Sorry to keep revisiting the same question.

Sponsored Links
I don't know the details of those models, but my 2p worth is that if that "added earth test function" is for testing earth rods, then it could be very useful.

The earth rod test will be useful if you live in an area with a lot of TT installs. But you can stil test earth rods with a loop test anyway (Test Method 2 in GN3)

As for downloadability of results, if you are just starting out you will learn far more by completing certificates by hand, rather than by using software to create and check certificates. I still complete all my certs by hand and, you know, it takes no time at all, plus - voila! - the client gets a cert on the spot and I don't later spend half my evenings on admin!

The auto RCD test is the best thing since the last best thing.

As well as two other sets of kit I have the 1652 and I would thoroughly recommend it. (Just keep an eye on the reliabilty of the crocodile clips supplied - if you do have a problem with them, Fluke are well aware and will replace them, FOC)

Thanks BAS & dingbat.

The 1653 adds Earth resistance & phase sequence indication for the extra £110. However the price doesn't include the earth spike test kit £74, or download software £90.

That's a very valid point that you've raised dingbat about filling in the forms.

All-in-all I'm sure that the 1652 is the way to go

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
brian.tabernor said:
Spark123

Yes, One tester to do as much as possible. :)

Such as it is.
May I suggest two or three OMB`s get together with differing brands of test kit (seperates or all in one) and swop about a bit.
This ensures no one is left without during calibaration and repair and gives opportunity for a bit of cross checking/comparing which can only raise standards.
Christmas it is possible one QS can use one set of I&T for a number of operatives and this can`t be good.
Idealy each person would have two differing sets but alas we live in a real world.

I originally purchased a macro test 5035 uk, all singing all dancing tester, with the download facility etc, but as someone pointed out to me how does the tester know what test you are doing? and if there are many tests then how do u know what test that data relates to. The macro test came with all the accessories but despite saying that it didn't trip rcds on earth loop impedance it did!. I then changed it to a 1502/2 megger and it is so easy to use and for the majority of tests only uses 2 leads. Most of the city and guilds inspectors/assessors use these testers.

good luck with your purchase

oops sorry forgot to add dont worry about the auto rcd test it takes about 10 secs to do the test manually , you still have to reset the rcd to carry out the higher milli amp loads

I think the auto test (on my tester anyway) is quite handy, especially if the RCD is remote from a socket outlet.

A very difficult decision to make and you are bound to wish you'd chosen another.
But for what it worth, I plumped for Robin purchasing insulation/resistance tester, RCD tester and ELI/PSCC tester. Add to these my old trusty Fluke 8021 and most bases are covered.
I went for separated because if one item when faulty I didn't want to be without all my kit.

Another point to consider although it doesn't affect what you buy. It is necessary to have your testers certified annually. This can cost £30 per item and more on combination sets. So if you buy/make a calibration unit and test your kit monthly, the annual tests can be avoided as any deviation trend can be instantly spotted.

Thanks all, for the advise.

I'm going for the Fluke and as you say will probably regret it. Already ordered the bits to make a checkbox.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back