Which Multifunction Tester?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just starting out (therefore budget is limited) and looking for a multifunction tester.

My favourite at the moment is the Fluke 1651B which is in price range and has a remote test probe (unlike the Metrel MI3000 and Kewtech KT63 which I also considered) however lacks an auto RCD and RCD ramp test.

The auto RCD test I'm willing to sacrifice for the remote test probe and being inexperienced I'm not sure how useful an RCD ramp test will be in everyday use?

So:

1) Is the Fluke a good starter unit? If not, what would you get instead?

2) How useful is an RCD ramp tester? Am I likely to *need* one?

Sponsored Links
If you can get your hands on a Megger MFT1552, cracking meter.
You can't get them from new but might find some value on ebay, but check out the seller before buying.
eMegger
MFT1552 user guide

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have a fluke 1653B and prefer it to the metrel I also own. I would get another fluke when the time comes.

Ramp testiing can be useful when fault finding.

I agree.

I like Fluke. I don't think a 1652 with ramp and auto would be that much more expensive.

I would think if you buy something without these functions you will soon regret it.

Sponsored Links
Cheapest MFT ive seen is the Kewtech KT61 that can be had for around £300 plus VAT if you shop around. Downsides with it are limited RCD test functions and it wont do a low current loop test what used to be known as the D-LOK feature.

I have the Fluke 1653B and find it an excellent bit of kit, however i also have used and like the Megger 1552/1553 testers.

there IS a remote test probe for the Metrel, the "tip commander" its an optional extra, but its there.
A quick google revealed its about another £100

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I think I'm set on buying a brand new model rather than one off eBay, which rules out the MFT1552 I'm afraid (I have heard *very* good things about these testers though - they seem to have a lot better reputation than the newer MFT1700 series)

EFLImpedance - I think you're right, I'll probably come to regret it if I don't get all these features - so... if it's a Fluke it looks like a 1652C which is beyond what my budget will allow :( I'd budgeted for around £350-400 + VAT which will buy me a Metrel MI3000 or MI3100 (I've realised the MI3100 comes with the "tip commander" and only costs another £50 so seems worth the extra - it's not that ghastly yellow either!) whereas the Fluke 1652C looks to be around £595 + VAT so beyond me at the moment.

Metrel seem to have a good reputation, not as good as Fluke or Megger admittedly but I'm guessing the MI3100 should be good enough to get me going until I can afford and justify getting something better :)

the KT63 is a new meter and it does have a auto rcd test, it is a budget range and has all the functions you need including the ramp test, forget metrel or seeward

I'm just starting out (therefore budget is limited) and looking for a multifunction tester.

My favourite at the moment is the Fluke 1651B which is in price range and has a remote test probe (unlike the Metrel MI3000 and Kewtech KT63 which I also considered) however lacks an auto RCD and RCD ramp test.

The auto RCD test I'm willing to sacrifice for the remote test probe and being inexperienced I'm not sure how useful an RCD ramp test will be in everyday use?

So:

1) Is the Fluke a good starter unit? If not, what would you get instead?

2) How useful is an RCD ramp tester? Am I likely to *need* one?

If you want a fluke, which i use. get one with auto rcd tester and ramp, you will not regret it. open an account with a local wholesaler and get them to supply it, along with all the stock parts, materials you need, you will probably get 60 days credit and a few jobs will take care of the extra costs of the meter you really want.

get one with auto rcd tester and ramp, you will not regret it.

I absolutely agree.

I have a Metrel with a Tip Commander.
I have used the Tip Commander twice in three years.
The RCD auto test is used on every installation. The ramp test has uncovered makers errors on some RCDs.

Nuff said?

Thanks guys.

letinman, will have a better look at the KT63. It looks a good choice and I've found it at £395+VAT with a free Kewtech wander lead as well which is quite appealing.

17thman, TTC, I've decided RCD auto test and ramp tests are a must. I'll have to give the remote probe some more thought if I'm considering the KT63 as it doesn't seem to come with one or support one.

Plenty of food for thought! :D

I'll echo TTC. A remote probe is nice to have but not a necessity. I've managed all these years without one. RCD auto test is the best thing ever added to test kits. I remember having to walk back and forth, back and forth in the olden days.

I use the ramp test maybe a couple of times a year, but the times when you really need it you'll be lost with out it.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm now a proud owner of a 1652C :D and I'm very pleased.

I've never used a Kewtech so can't comment on how it compares, but it's a lot nicer than the Metrel imho. I'm glad I paid the extra.

Glad you went for the 1652 - You would kick yourself if you didn't opt for the auto RCD test! I would prefer to loose the remote test probe and have the auto RCD test! It is invaluable at saving time.

th_thumbs-up.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back