Multifunction tester recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im looking to buy a multifunction tester so that I can test my house wiring. Im going to be making some minor alterations and want to be able to check the state of things before and after any work I do.

I'd be looking at a budget of around £200 (or touch more if needed) to buy something decent second hand that would do the job properly. I've heard of the likes of fluke and megger, but some suggestions of any other brands or particular models I should be looking at, and any experience of them would be gladly recieved.

And yes - I am aware of part P and works which require notificaton, I also have a copy of the onsite guide and guide to testing procedures.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sponsored Links
I have used many, but not had to buy them myself, the insulation tester has to use 500 volt there are some with a 250 volt option, all seem to work nearly the same way, continuity tester the same seem to remember 250 mA has to be used and that that much in them.

The loop impedance test however does vary, there are different methods to allow testing without tripping the RCD and some used just 9 mA other can use more around 10 amp, also some are 230 volt only and some 230 or 400 volt and some old ones may still work on 240 volt, also when switching between PSCC and loop impedance some auto change the terminals on the ISO plug so test line - earth with loop and line neutral with PSCC other you need to make up a box of testing leads to do the full test.

The RCD tester also varies, most will test the standard 30 mA, 100 mA, 300 mA and 500 mA RCD's with half, full and 5 times test figures, and of course measure time, others will do a ramp test so you can see exactly at what point it tripped.

As to calibration not a clue what it costs, or if a all in one test set is more or less to get tested to a three meter test set, a lot of all in one test sets also will test an earth electrode with the two probes.

Having sent meters away for calibration and latter found they were completely out due to being set for an old redundant set of regulations rather than anything wrong I am not too happy at using authorised testing houses, I prefer to test my self, however it's not down to what I want it is down to what those passing the paperwork will accept.

So if I make out an insulation certificate and submit it to the LABC they could re-test some random items, they could ask to see calibration certificates, and also could ask to see your qualifications to show you have the skill. I can only say what has happened to me and my son, we both have the C&G2391 and in Liverpool and Cheshire the LABC allowed my son to submit his installation certificate without a problem.

However in Flintshire just our side of the boarder is was very different, in spite of the meters being in full view they still wanted us to get some one else in to test, seemed they had a list of people they trusted, my son said well if we have to get some one in to do testing he would need to hold a better degree to my dad in electrical engineering of course. And at that they backed down and allowed me to test, but not my son, which was a shame as he had insurance and I did not.

So before parting with any money make sure the LABC will accept your paperwork, and if they want calibration certificates be aware these can cost a lot of money. Clearly some one doing it every day needs the meters, but it may be cheaper to use some one from the council list of tester rather than do that bit yourself.

Thanks for the input.

Looking at the things I'm wanting to change around I don't need to involve building control (all changes to existing circuits not in special locations) so thats not too important a matter at the moment. Whilst my profession is in IT I did do an electronic and electrical engineering degree so I'm not coming at it from a completely clueless angle. :)

As for the cost, looking at how well they hold their value I could well just sell anything I buy on afterwards and recoup most of my outlay. But then again I quite like having a good tool colection! :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back