Fluke Testers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1st up, hope everyone had a great xmas!

Basically, got a kewtech multifunction tester-i must say poor design with configuration of leads i mean how long should an r1+r2 test take on sockets, as well as getting dodgy readings. Had enough and buying a Fluke tester, borrowed one to try out on a few test & inspect jobs and was satisfied with the quality as well as the non rcd tripping situation.
All points are valid as to where do i get a tester from, And what model would you folk would recommend?

Regards,
carlos

Sponsored Links
Id go for a Megger 1553 tester with bluetooth very nice bit of kit. Or the 1552 that it replaced was a good buy too.

Hello.

I had use of a Fluke 1653 multi-function tester for a good few months. Very easy to use. A ruddy good bit of kit ! I think the Fluke 1652 did everything I needed, and that may well be a tad cheaper.
(I managed to get hold of it on that Ebay site. :oops: )
The meter may be the mutts nuts, but you may well have to purchase a decent set of leads.

Regards

Ed

Sponsored Links
I'm another one that likes the Megger gear, using the MFT1552 and no problems with it (ok - the LCD backlight could do with stopping on a little bit longer if I'm splitting hairs!)

Megger for me too, tried a Fluke 1651 for a while but the leads were awful. Ended up buying a Megger 1502/02 less than 6mths old off eBay for under £300, great piece of kit............only downside with the 1502 is the lack of auto RCD, so its worth paying a bit more and getting a 1552.

yes i hear the leads are naff on the fluke.

Several years ago, some Fluke testers were supplied with rubbish leads. If you were unfortunate enough to get a bad set, a simple phone call secured free replacements. Units supplied since then have perfectly good leads.

Unfortunately, there are those who insist that Megger is far superior, and equally people who insist that Fluke is better than Megger.
In reality, there is nothing wrong with either make. If unsure as to what to buy, borrow or hire some different types, try them out, and buy whichever YOU think is best.

Unfortunately, there are those who insist that Megger is far superior, and equally people who insist that Fluke is better than Megger.

...and those who had a Fluke 1653, sold it, bought a Megger 1552 and never looked back ;)

they all do the same job but some are more user friendly thats all.

i dont know anyone who has a fluke and changed to a megger.

fluke seems the preferred choice.

i for 1 prefer the metrel and have had 3 over the years .
have tried the megger and it made my head hurt. :)

I would always go for the Meggar.

I have a fluke, and had loads of trouble with the leads. I bought some meggar leads for my fluke, and all is good.

Beware that when the batteries get low it gives some odd readings and the RCD test goes haywire. If you know what sort of results to expect, you can spot when things go a miss!

Any other make is a little budget in my eyes.

Many thanks for everyones constructive inputs!
seems strange no-one has mensioned the kewtech..! im guessing i wasted £700! never mind we all learn.

Thanks everyone!
Carl

Kewtech and Metrel are just plain horrible.

I currently own a Megger 1553 (the one with the coloured teeth that seem to be all the rage on all sorts of things nowadays) and its very good.

I would equally reccomend fluke, the standard leads are now a lot better than they used to be.

I use this company for all my instruments, best prices around and very quick delivery, regulars will notice I always reccomend them when this kind of discussion comes up!

http://isswww.co.uk/default.aspx

seems strange no-one has mensioned the kewtech..! im guessing i wasted £700! never mind we all learn.

Just been working along side some sparks who had two poo tecknik testers between then. They were getting such inconsistant results between them, and the fact the cases break so easily, they ended up borrowing a megger off someone, and then retested the whole site.

Personally I like Metrel (sometimes re-badged as alphatek)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back