Pro Multi Fuction Testers ( BS7671, 16/17th Ed, Pt P, etc)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks.

Has anybody got any recommendations for a Pro Quality Multi Function Electrical tester, suitable for testing a domestic installation iaw BS7671 and other current regs in force in Scotland.
Something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg either as i'm just a home user ( at the moment ;) ) , brand new , or decent quality s/h is what i'm after and i don't want to pay any more than about £300.
Some good recommendations for decent , affordable machines is what I'm after not bragging rights for the latest and greatest . Paying just a littel extra for a single instrument that does everything , rather than a case full of single use ones interests me most.

I am quite familiar with using complex test equipment in my work as an Aircraft Technician. I have access to a decent Pocket Fluke DMM and a Megger insulation tester that we use at work, we can usually trouble-shoot most electrical snags using these two machines. We also have a Seaward PAC500 PAT checker, for testing mains leads and our portable equipment that I can borrow from work at any time.

Basically i'd like my own machine for use at home. It seems like I've spent almost every spare minute of the last week reading about BS7671, Part P, and IEE 16/17th ed, head is now full of magic...

Sponsored Links
I can recommend the Megger 1502 and 1552 over the likes of the Fluke 1653, Metrel Instaltest and a budget meter I tried this week - Dilog 9083P.

Could do with you updating your profile with an email address, may have something of interest to you.

Metrel have just bought out a new range of testers, so you may be able to find some of the old style testers being sold off to make way for the new range.

I've got an install test 61557, and have very few complaints about it :)

I have been trying to get the same thing. The s/h stuff onebay just rockets close to the price of new stuff.

I would like to hear of similar reccommendations or options for purchasing 2nd hand from guys moving testers on

Sponsored Links
I have a Megger 1502, a year old, just been calibrated, hardly used and would easily pass for a new unit, screen protector still in place, all leads, case etc.
Mail me if interested.

My profile now updated with a working e-mail.

I'll be happy to carefully consider any offers anybody might have for a suitable instrument. I'm in no major rush though.

Megger 1552, cracking peice of kit, bought one last november.
Fluke 1652 is also a good bet, very similar to the Megger.

Search out a good deal on the net and you should find them for around 560 sheets, list price is much higher than that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back