Testers - Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

Currently coming to the end off my Level 3 C&G 2330 and I have been looking on and off for the past 6 months at testers as I will need one shortly.

I dont want to spend a huge amount of money on my 1st one but at the same time spend too little and often.

What would you guys recommend? Our Tutor always says that we should try as many out as possible but other then going to trade shows its quite the impossible.

I have seen this on a website. What do you think -

http://www.test-meter.co.uk/product...metrel-mi3000-easi-plus-multifunction-tester/

Its a multi Functional - good choice or do you recommend thre seperate testers?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Adam

Sponsored Links
If you are going for a metrel go for one of the older design ones.

The new ones are over complicated, have lots of functions you'll never use, and the batteries don't last 5 minutes.

I've got an old metrel. It's dead easy to use, and it takes 'c' size batteries so they last for ever.

I use a Megger 1552, you can't buy them new any more. If you can get one on ebay cheap or cheapish from a reputable trader.
I would recommend getting one, does all the standard tests. Gives you continuity readings on contact, no test button required, which is the one thing I dislike about the Metrels I have used.
But at the end of the day it's personal choice.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I use a Megger, but it's a bit pricey to start out with (unless you get one from ebay). I also use Kewtech R2 socket adapter and a Lightmate set.
I also stumped up for a wander lead, but you can get plug in adapters to allow use of a standard extension reel.

Certainly can't go wrong with fluke or megger

Metrel can be a bit hit and miss, the easitest I I had was alright and did the job but the continuity test started going funny after a while seemed to struggle zeroing it, think being an all in one, it all ran through the big dial on the front and possibly suffered from dust and wear as turning it back and forth seemed to clear it most times.

I'd advise making sure what you get has all of... button on the probe (as said above), auto rcd test, 250v setting on the IR, full current Zs test for non-rcd circuits

I've got a Fluke and a Megger - both have their pro's and cons

All I need know is someone to design a new one with the best of both!

Beware of buying from ebay unless seller can prove ownership (ie original receipt) - a lot of robbed equipment ends up on there

If you are going for a metrel go for one of the older design ones.

The new ones are over complicated, have lots of functions you'll never use, and the batteries don't last 5 minutes.

I've got an old metrel. It's dead easy to use, and it takes 'c' size batteries so they last for ever.

The newer one I have has rechargeable batteries.

the one we had did too, but it didn't seem to stay charged long at all, so we ended up going back to normal batteries. I just never got on with it at all.

I think for somthing as expensive as a tester when there is so much vareity on the market it's always best if you can borrow or hire one for a week or so and see how you get on with it before you commit to buying it.

It's a bit like buying a car. You need to do a good bit of reading up on the specs, maybe read some reviews too, find what is in your price range, and then when you've got a short list, go have a sit in it and take if for a test drive before you actually commit to buying.

i don't know about the flukes, but the meggers cope pretty well with being dropped, they're pretty rugged.

Have a fluke voltage indicator, broke within a fortnight of being in my toolbag

I have a Fluke 1653B it was my first mft and I've owned it for just over one year. Before that I used to have separate instruments they where all made by Megger.

For starting out I would recommend a Fluke 1651B can be picked up for around £450 avoid the Kewtech KT61 I use on on the highways and it's really unreliable often giving inaccurate readings on Zs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back