Much needed advice on SDS hammer/ chisel drill please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently bought a house which is in need of a restoration and I need to chisel off a few walls of old plaster from brick and I also need to chisel a few bricks that are covering an old fire place which I wouild like to reopen and use again.

I have looked at a few SDS hammer drills with chisel function but there are so many different specs to choose from and i'm worried about buying the wrong one for the job in hand :-/ I am confused about the different weights 2kg - 9kg and which wattage drill would be adequate enough to do the job. I would like to spend no more then £150. I rang screwfix for advice but apparently they are not allowed to give me advice for whatever reason...?

I would be most grateful if someone could recommend me on the type of spec chisel drill to use or even a model of drill within my budget please???

thanks in advance guys

Sponsored Links
Well £150 quid narrows it down to the 2kg range. Unless it's chinese carp.

Sponsored Links
my choice is the bosch,im on my 2nd 1 in about 20 years and at do throw some work at it,but if your expecting to gun up solid floors or take off paster to the whole house then you need to get a proper kango,for 1 offs then the bosch should be a good buy.

What ever you get, if it starts getting really hot due to prolonged use, put the drill down, go do something else and let the drill cool down.

We had a fleet of bosch blue drills at one firm I worked at. They were utterly abused by the lads on the tools as they weren't our drills, so we didn't care if we bust them, but they absoloutley lapped up everything thrown at them.

I now have one my self, and it's probably the best drill I've ever owned.

The Titan 5KG SDS+ drills at Screwfix are good value & well reviewed
Where? On Screwfix's own forum? Surprise, surprise! 5kg is ridiculously heavy for prolonged use, especially above waist height. And like all Screwfix "own brand" products I'll bet there's zero spares/product support once your warranty is up.

At 5kg it is perfectly OK for breaking out old concrete and floor tiles and a bit of light demolition so if the OP has a very large amount of demo to do it might be worth buying - but it's no long term "keeper" and as soon as the OP needs to work above waist height it becomes a b@llsache (well actually a shoulder and arms ache) because of all that weight.

Personally I'd go the other way - buy a 2kg+ Bosch/Makita/Metabo SDS+ as a keeper and hire-in a heavy breaker for the few times it's needed., if ever. For well under £150 the OP can get a very good Bosch GBH2400 from Screwfix (see video here). I'm in trade and I have one of those myself - sufficient hitting power to remove old plaster and tiles as well as to do light demolition and chanelling, whilst not too heavy (2.7kg) for prolonged work at or above head height (e.g. netting out concrete ceilings). I've probably spent more on tooling for mine than the drill cost because I found all that really useful stuff at Armeg...... I don't know if it will last as long, but my last blue Bosch did more than 20 years with only brush repairs, but I'm hopeful this one will do at least ten based on my other blue Bosch tools

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back