Testers on ebay..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had some quotes for Fluke and Megger MFTs. I'm looking at either the Fluke 1652 or the Megger 1552.

I'm geting quoted £549 + VAT for the Fluke and £495 + VAT for the Megger. However, they are also on ebay (as new and calibrated) for quite a lot less. My question is - would you trust buying either of these from ebay or would you pay the extra and go to a reputable electrical wholesaler?

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Providing you are happy they are not stolen from some poor bugger, and you are happy that the calibration certificate is genuine, then I don't see the risks being any different to any other purchase from a well known internet auction site.

You could always have the machine calibrated yourself when you receive it.

If you can afford the extra for the fluke it would get my vote! (although nothing wrong with the megger or meterel for that matter)

Hello,
After 1yr I sold my 1653 on e-bay, for the same as I paid for it on e-bay ! :LOL: ;)

ps...A very good meter in my humble opinion.

Ed.

Sponsored Links
The biggest problem with ebay is whether the warranty would be honoured by the supplier. Best to check this first.

Do you need the 1652? The 1651 is much cheaper (approx £350 from my wholesaler).

As a side issue, the crocodile clips on the Fluke really suck!

Dippy here somehow lost the 'cap' off of the 'test' L lead.
Wholesalers just shook thier heads, " you want a new lead ordering ?" :eek: , fluke dont list them as a spare part, I was forever trying different 'caps'!.
GN3 and all that. ! :D
Yes , the NIC 'assessor' did pick me up on it too ! :oops:

Ed.

I must add that I agree that the 'croc clips' are not up to much at all.

sparkyspike said:
Do you need the 1652? The 1651 is much cheaper (approx £350 from my wholesaler).

I believe the 1651 doesn't have the Auto RCD Test.

I havn't made up my mind which one to get yet. I've sampled both of them but not enough to help me make a decision. I think it'll be by the toss of a coin. :)

EdwardCurrent said:
Hello,
After 1yr I sold my 1653 on e-bay, for the same as I paid for it on e-bay ! :LOL: ;)

ps...A very good meter in my humble opinion.

Ed.

Nice one. :D

I use the Fluke 1653 had it for two years now & have no complaints at all very easy to use, just need to remember to squeeze the crock clips on to the conductors under test.

Should be able to get down to around £450 & VAT on web; next day delivery for the Megger. Prices and freebies added by various people change daily so just keep looking then order. Main problem buying on line is that you can't check how long the calibration cert has to run - no point buying a "brand new" meter which was calibrated best part of a year ago. At least in a wholesalers you can open it up and have a look. As ever pays yer money etc etc

Picked up tester today, i went for the Megger 1552. Had a little dabble tonight and i'm convinced i've made the right choice. Done a sequence of tests at home today and very happy with the ease of functionality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back