What testing equipment does an electrician need

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

I'm studying at college at the moment.
I am looking to get some essential electrical testing kits slowly. As it's my 30th bday on the 28th . I might ask all my family to chip in rather than buying me something I don't need .

Is a multificunctional tester an essential item? They are so pricey.

I did buy a second hand Megger continiity/insulation tester which was faulty at the end. So I'm trying my best to stay away from second hand items.

What do you think about the tester below?
Also what other kits would you say are essential to buy?

I was thinking of a 2 poll fluke 150 tester as well.

Sponsored Links
I was not permitted to take any of my test equipment to work, two reasons one the firm holds the calibration certificates, and two if there is a fault which causes injury then insurance may not cover, as not under the control of the firm you work for.

Even today as a volunteer I officially I should not use my own tools, I do, but only when the safety officer is not around.

I do have a clamp on multi meter which will go down to 0.001 amp to check earth leakage, AC and DC, and also non contact volts, plus leads of course, but only a cheap one at £35.

If going sole trader then clearly diffrent, but one wants a few years cards in first before you go where you can't ask others for advice.

Electricians need test equipment for several reasons.

1. Gathering the measurements needed to fill out installation certificates and condition reports. For this you need insulation resistance, "low ohms" resistance, earth fault loop impedance and RCD test. These functions are nearly always combined into a "multifuction tester".
2. Personal safety, you need to test for dead, and it is strongly recommended to use a purpose designed two pole tester for this job.
3. Fault finding. Here you have more flexibility, some electricans will get by with just their multifuction tester, but a clamp meter is useful here. Ideally one of the models that has current ranges suitable for earth leakage measurements.

The "low ohms" meters not only have the ability to measure smaller resistances than your typical multimeter, but they also use higher test currents which helps to avoid certain types of inaccuracy with measuring small resistances.

The KT300 doesn't offer RCD test or earth fault loop impedance, and while it can measure lower resistances than a typical multimeter, there is no mention of the test current in the specifications.

Well you pays your money and takes yer choice.
Traditionally most meters were seperate then some manufacturers started to make meters with two or more functions.
On the one hand if each meter does only one function then if it gets lost/stolen/damaged or it`s away for repair/calibration then you are only short of one function for a while wheras with a multifuction you are without all of those functions.
However for calibration the multifunction is usually a far cheaper total cost than seperates.
The initial outlay for multifunction meters is usually far cheaper too.
Some multifunction meters also have additional features notably for earth rod testing for example which can often/sometimes/never be useful too.
If you are a "one man band" you might carry one multifunction meter or a number of seperates but ideally (as I did for many years) two sets, one being the spare.
If you are running a firm with a few blokes needing to use them then you might set up each bloke with a multifunction/seperates each and even a spare set back at the office.
However some firms just have one set and everybody who uses it throws it in the back of the van.

A two pole tester is a goo idea, likewise a bog standard multimeter (or a bit of a better one) to aid some fault finding speeds on dead circuits, if used wisely. Even those lighting LED contact voltage testers and plug in testers can be useful but never use as a test for dead. Oh and a clamp meter - low current resolution and a 100A one too.
two reasons one the firm holds the calibration certificates,
I`m not exactly sure what Eric means by this part of his statement. He could have his own copy or even get his own calibration too. I shall have to ask him.

So, hopefully we have all given you some "food for thought" as to where you are now, where you want to be in a year or three and where you want to be later on down the line.
Good luck, and Merry Xmas

Sponsored Links
You really need an MFT , so if you buy a 2nd hand unit make sure it has a brand new calibration certificate.

But once, buy wisely

I was thinking of a 2 poll fluke 150 tester as well.
A voltage indicator is 100% essential, as it will be used on every single thing you work on. Dozens or even 100s of times per day, every day.

Nothing wrong with that Fluke one, but significantly cheaper alternatives exist, including from Fluke themselves.
The fact that one has a digital display for voltage is mostly irrelevant, as is the fact it can do resistance.
For the Fluke ones, the T110 is the minimum - the T90 doesn't have a switchable load so will give false indications where capacitive coupling exists.

MFTs are expensive, but usually less than buying individual test equipment for each function.
Nothing wrong with that KT300 - but add the KT400 for loop impedance and you are already spending ~£650, which is the same as buying the 5-in-1 KT63DL.

So I'm trying my best to stay away from second hand items.
Definitely, as second hand tools are either broken, stolen or both.

Broken AND stolen! good combination methinks ;).

Yes, as you say, it is quite risky, either new or from a very trusted friend

PS if you think test gear is expensive then consider the cost a few years back it was greatly more so.
Even if you dislike Part P I would suggest one result seemed to be more folk buying test gear and therefore test gear getting less expensive. Copmpare prices before early 2000s to 2010 onwards for example.

Same thing happend with calculators and computers years before - I still got a slide rule as a backup though! :cool:

A voltage indicator is 100% essential, as it will be used on every single thing you work on. Dozens or even 100s of times per day, every day.

Nothing wrong with that Fluke one, but significantly cheaper alternatives exist, including from Fluke themselves.
The fact that one has a digital display for voltage is mostly irrelevant, as is the fact it can do resistance.
For the Fluke ones, the T110 is the minimum - the T90 doesn't have a switchable load so will give false indications where capacitive coupling exists.

MFTs are expensive, but usually less than buying individual test equipment for each function.
Nothing wrong with that KT300 - but add the KT400 for loop impedance and you are already spending ~£650, which is the same as buying the 5-in-1 KT63DL.

Definitely, as second hand tools are either broken, stolen or both.

Thanks mate .

So instead of the fluke I've come across this cheaper one.

What do you make of this one?

I've also so seen the TIS self proving one for about 50 quid . Don't know if I should just get that one.

Electricians need test equipment for several reasons.

1. Gathering the measurements needed to fill out installation certificates and condition reports. For this you need insulation resistance, "low ohms" resistance, earth fault loop impedance and RCD test. These functions are nearly always combined into a "multifuction tester".
2. Personal safety, you need to test for dead, and it is strongly recommended to use a purpose designed two pole tester for this job.
3. Fault finding. Here you have more flexibility, some electricans will get by with just their multifuction tester, but a clamp meter is useful here. Ideally one of the models that has current ranges suitable for earth leakage measurements.

The "low ohms" meters not only have the ability to measure smaller resistances than your typical multimeter, but they also use higher test currents which helps to avoid certain types of inaccuracy with measuring small resistances.

The KT300 doesn't offer RCD test or earth fault loop impedance, and while it can measure lower resistances than a typical multimeter, there is no mention of the test current in the specifications.

This is perfect. As a student this info has gone a long way ! It just helped me categorise why we need certain things etc. It gets abit overwhelming .

Do you recommend anything in particular?

Well you pays your money and takes yer choice.
Traditionally most meters were seperate then some manufacturers started to make meters with two or more functions.
On the one hand if each meter does only one function then if it gets lost/stolen/damaged or it`s away for repair/calibration then you are only short of one function for a while wheras with a multifuction you are without all of those functions.
However for calibration the multifunction is usually a far cheaper total cost than seperates.
The initial outlay for multifunction meters is usually far cheaper too.
Some multifunction meters also have additional features notably for earth rod testing for example which can often/sometimes/never be useful too.
If you are a "one man band" you might carry one multifunction meter or a number of seperates but ideally (as I did for many years) two sets, one being the spare.
If you are running a firm with a few blokes needing to use them then you might set up each bloke with a multifunction/seperates each and even a spare set back at the office.
However some firms just have one set and everybody who uses it throws it in the back of the van.

A two pole tester is a goo idea, likewise a bog standard multimeter (or a bit of a better one) to aid some fault finding speeds on dead circuits, if used wisely. Even those lighting LED contact voltage testers and plug in testers can be useful but never use as a test for dead. Oh and a clamp meter - low current resolution and a 100A one too.

I`m not exactly sure what Eric means by this part of his statement. He could have his own copy or even get his own calibration too. I shall have to ask him.

So, hopefully we have all given you some "food for thought" as to where you are now, where you want to be in a year or three and where you want to be later on down the line.
Good luck, and Merry Xmas

Thanks for that . That info is definitely handy.

So I'm guessing if I'm just going to work in houses and maybe small businesses. Ie 1 man band.

I'll mote than likely just need a simple 2 poll tester and a MFT that has most functions. For my testing side. How much does calibrations cost ?

Thanks mate .

So instead of the fluke I've come across this cheaper one.

What do you make of this one?

I've also so seen the TIS self proving one for about 50 quid . Don't know if I should just get that one.
Probably ok, Martindale usually reputable, but can probably be had cheaper elsewhere. Plenty of products of the market, no need for a megger expensive one (see what I did). I’m a gas safe registered engineer and have a di-log combi volt which is good enough, approx £40 ebay shop circa 6 years ago.

I have in the main worked for large firms, like GEC Large Steam Turbines, and every item was calibrated including the crimp pliers. They were sent to our own calibration house, which held the truly traceable records, the only non calibrated item I had was a clamp on meter used only to test the mats on our stress relief equipment, on the strict instruction not to be used for anything else.

I have only worked for one firm where if caught without ones proving for dead equipment, it was instant dismissal, in Rock Savage. But as @flameport points out it must use no batteries as batteries can fail, and have no selection device on it, so can't select wrong function, and be two prong, and the proving unit should step up the voltages so it shows it works at whole of the low voltage range. However in real terms I have only once been required to use one, and will normally use may multi-meter Testing for live.jpg seen here testing for live with the non contact voltage range, so reasonably sure dead before I remove any screws to gain access to used the leads to test, this is not the official way, but the way I do it. The clamp on jaws also allow testing of neutral wires for current to avoid the dangers of a borrowed neutral, however for years I used a neon screwdriver to alert for that eventuality.

Most places the meters used for loop impedance, low ohms, insulation, and RCD testing also recorded the results, same with the PAT tester in the latter years, so impossible for me to have used my own meters, I have had problems with auto recording where a foeman was caught using a VB program to alter the auto readings. And with PAT testing where we know the lead must pass as used to test the equipment, but had to test the lead on it own as well to record the results.

When I started work as an apprentice we were required to provide our own hand tools, but as time has gone by, that has been reversed, and in the main now forbidden to take your own hand tools to work. This does mean we don't have the expense of maintaining these tools, the same has happened with PPE equipment, and my feet are damaged due to being forced to ware safety boots provided, I often could not select my own.

As a away worker it was nearly impossible for me to carry my own tools to Algeria, Hong Kong, and the Falklands, so they were provided in my case since 1980 when I first went abroad, I gained tools, often when job was finished told I could keep them, not stolen as such, and I have also lost tools, and in the early years the tax system included a tool allowance so I was not taxed on the money spent on tools. Today only the self employed can do that, and as self employed clearly one does need to buy ones own tools.

The tool for testing earth rods I have used many times, I have fitted 100's of earth rods, but all on one job, and the test equipment was hired. When test equipment is hired it needs to be calibrated for each hire, so often a minimum hire of one week. Often the hire is to cover for ones own equipment to go away for calibration, and when I last looked about £60 per week. However for multi-meters, screwdrivers etc. One would normally buy, having a small meter in my pocket like the one shown, is handy, but in the main the test set to do a EICR, EIC, or PAT testing is not really small enough to carry in ones pocket. However size and weight has to be a consideration, working on the building of Sizewell 'B' and Heathrow terminal 5 I had to climb up down ladders all day, so I wanted hands free, so all tools carried in a bag over my shoulder. Even doing EICR's in some factories it involved a lot of walking, I was provided with a tricycle on one site, some times Landrovers, some times vans, often these were shared, so still all ones tools had to be carried in some way.

Clearly a multi function test set reduces what needs to be carried, on some jobs my main tool was a laptop, first one plugs in the laptop to the PLC to see what is wrong, I envied the guys with small laptops, far easier to carry.

We call ourselves electricians, but really there is a huge difference between the jobs I have done. Petrochemical was so different to shop fitting. And as to house bashing, when I started it was considered as the job you did while looking for a proper job, but today that has all changed. So as to what tools, that has also changed, I know as an installation electrician I would never use a moving spanner, it may mark the gland, as a maintenance electrician not unknown to use pipe wrenches.

And only one job did I have to use lubricant on the Hawk glands to stop the seals being damaged when fitting them. Falklands was a problem, often the rotating wing aircraft could not land, and one had to jump out with tool box and over night bag, I remember well landing in the peat, it was only a foot or two off the ground when I jumped, but did not stop sinking into the peat until overnight bag and tool box hit the peat, weight of tools can be a huge problem.

So to get an answer you need to say where you are looking for work, as said domestic has changed, I remember my son starting out, at first he did no inspection and testing, and he was considered semi-skilled wiring new houses, latter he got his C&G 2391 and he was the guy going around estate to estate doing the inspection and testing, so before he had his C&G 2391 he did not need any test equipment.

Can anyone beat me and Eric (neither of us admitted it but we both have an abacus and a log table book by Frank Castle)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back