Memshield 2 availability/compatibility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some breakers for our Memshield 2 DB (4x RCBO and 1x 3 Phase MCB) and it looks like the only place to get any is eBay, where I'm looking at about £40 each used!

Is there anywhere that still stocks Memshield 2 bits? Or is there any compatible drop in replacement? Do the Memshield 3 breakers fit?

Sponsored Links
Memshield 3 bits don't fit. I recently got a few RCBO's from my local Senate, but had to buy the breakers and the RCD modules separately (the RCD modules fit on top of the MCB's)

They aren't cheap though - around £50 each IIRC

Shame, because it's nice kit to work with.

Didn't realise the RCD module just fitted onto the MCB. That will save a few pennies - the RCBOs were to replace existing MCBs

Iggifer - if you could check, that would be great thanks.

Sponsored Links
It is nominally impossible to remove the Memshield 2 RCBO pods from MCBs once they have snapped into place.

It can be done destructively, or by using tools and a technique.

AFAIK the pods can be fitted onto MCBs which have the red-green indicator beind a window, but not those without. The MCBs have a small plastic part above the switch protrusion that can be pried off. There are many variations of MCB so my description may not fit all.

John - The pods can be removed with ease? I have swapped several. Never had an issue.

You cannot fit the memshield 3 into the 2.

John - The pods can be removed with ease? I have swapped several. Never had an issue.

You cannot fit the memshield 3 into the 2.

Agreed, I never had a problem with this either. They come with a longer tab to hold the whole module onto the rail, just remove that and the cover that goes round the test button and it should just slide off.

Memshield 2 in the middle, 3 on the outside and its bad news im afraid, quite a considerable height difference in the two. I hadn't realised. I tried to line up a piece of Eaton busbar and I wouldn't be happy with it like that. Depends what you've got in your board I guess though

That's very helpful thanks. I think we might actually have some Memshield 3s in the DB from the electricians idiots who "updated" our wiring, so it might be worth checking they are OK.

I've managed to source some second-hand RCD pods off eBay for £25 each which is a good start.

yea that's a pretty good price, assuming the mcbs are like the ones in the photos I posted, as the earlier ones don't accept rcbo pods

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back