Mending the sucker feet on a bath-lift

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope that someone will be able to advise me. I need always to have a ready supply of adhesive for what will be a recurring task, and I am unsure about which adhesive to use. This is the situation: My wife uses a bath-lift (bought about five months ago — it is a Bathmaster Deltis), which, to anchor itself to the bottom of the bath, has four moulded sucker-feet. These are replacable (they need to be!). I would imagine that the suckers themselves will last indefinitely. However, at the point where these suckers are screwed to the base of the bath-lift, there is a narrow neck (a tiny cylinder, which contains a machine-thread screw, pointing upwards, that screws into the base of the bath-lift). There are four sucker-feet, of course. The union of this cylinder with a flattish disc, at the top of the actual sucker-cone, is very weak. (I should imagine that, by some means unknown to me, it has been stuck on, after the screw has been inserted, because there is no way that the entire item could have been moulded as one piece, yet also have a steel screw inserted.) The result is that, when the joint at the bottom of the cylinder breaks, the entire foot has to be replaced. These feet are too expensive for me simply to replace when they break (which is too often).

Without going into too much detail, let me say that these sucker feet — also the “neck” containing the screw — are made from PVC (it says so — the letters “PVC" are moulded into the material.) I have tried using Thixofix (a liquid rubber-type adhesive) to glue the cylinder back onto the top of the sucker-cone, but it does not seem to grip the PVC well enough. Also, with Thixofix, the resulting mend seemed to be too flexible to be safe enough to take any great weight. I wondered whether anyone could recommend an adhesive that would bond these PVC parts together strongly enough for the purpose. The PVC is glossy, and, where it is flexible (i.e. where the feet need to suck onto the bottom of the bath), it feels a bit like a rubber sucker would feel. Although the sucker-cone itself is quite flexible, the disc on its the top (also, the tiny cylinder containing the screw, which cylinder sits on this disc) seems to be fairly rigid (since there, it is much thicker, of course). However, I would not describe it as being hard, like the PVC pipes used in plumbing.

Any response that you care to make would be welcome. I am aware that, even if the neck can be stuck back onto the top of the sucker, no one could guarantee that it would be strong enough. (The responsibility for using it would be mine alone.) All that I need to know is which adhesive would bond this glossy PVC, which is flexible only where it is thin enough to be so (i.e. the sucker-cone part). Someone that actually has made a successful mend of this kind would be an ideal adviser. However, I would like to hear from anyone with confidence to advise about this. (The adhesive would need to be bought in the UK, where I live.)

With thanks in hopeful anticipation,

A.W.

Sponsored Links
Adhesives for plastics are indeed a complete minefield......the really successful ones are cured by light and are used in the medical and dental trades.
However, Stelmax 1985 is successful with most forms of PVC, and the Loctite 3300 series is another.
I'm afraid your thixotropic adhesive won't be a success here, but superglue types would probably work better than that.
Have you contacted the bath lift manufacturer for some advice or spares? Maybe even another make would be the safest way to go.
We'd appreciate a photo of the job if that's possible!
John :)

We'd appreciate a photo of the job if that's possible!
John

Thanks very much for your interest, John. Please see the photograph that I hope to post. There are two views of the sucker-foot, with notes etc. Also there is a diagrammatic representation of the item, showing how it screws into the base-plate of the bath-lift. I hope that the size, resolution etc. will allow you to see the notes plainly enough (I'm not used to posting images, so had to guess what size to make it).
Diagram etc.jpg

From the drawing and shots it looks like you will have an ongoing problem there.
Couple of things occur to me as possibilities:
Drill it right through, counterbore it from underneath and glue in a flat headed screw. (with something like Sugru)
Sugru is a mouldable adhesive that sets as "rubber" that might be useful in some way here.
Or something like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROYAL-75M...463003?hash=item1c505ea05b:g:~W8AAOSwBahVFr1j (no connection to me) and get someone to turn up some bushes to suit to glue in.
If neither idea is possible or suitable then can you try to find a source of these things in bulk from China?

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
This is a fairly common method of securing rubber feet, so I'm wondering why they are failing......maybe they aren't designed to be released frequently once in place.
Anyway, my ploy at the moment would be to try and reinforce a new foot before attaching it to the lift.
Dave's idea is completely sound, my only doubt being if it would interfere with the actual suction of the foot to the bath.
(Mr AW.....is this expense down to you here?)

It's a bit "Suck it and see John" :D But as you say it may not "stick" afterwards with my idea.
I was just throwing a couple of ideas that occurred to me into the pot. As with any mod with anything it's up to the OP to ensure that it's suitable and safe.
As you say though, it's a common enough fixing method for suckers. I was wondering if the present setup puts weight on them at an angle?

It's curious......if you google this thing it looks really fragile, but the suckers are quite large and can only be successful on a flat surface. I can't see for sure why it should fail as there shouldn't be any movement at all once in place, but it wouldn't be a good move to release it by pulling the frame. It does get some good reviews however.
I think I'd be back to the manufacturer here!

Indeed John, I've just looked at the maker's site myself. I wouldn't want to make the suckers any taller than they are, so that's the one idea out the window. Any modified sucker would need to reliably stick to the bath reliably as well, which would tend to make my other idea defunct! Having looked at the lift I'd I'd say the only real answer is a properly made sucker with a stronger attachment. Although as you say I would be very careful to release the suckers before lifting the device out of the bath.
Like you I think the OP's best bet is to contact the maker. 3 year warranty according to the website?

John wrote: This is a fairly common method of securing rubber feet, so I'm wondering why they are failing......maybe they aren't designed to be released frequently once in place.
Anyway, my ploy at the moment would be to try and reinforce a new foot before attaching it to the lift.
Dave's idea is completely sound, my only doubt being if it would interfere with the actual suction of the foot to the bath.
(Mr AW.....is this expense down to you here?)

John, I don't understand what you mean, when you ask "is this expense down to you here?" I think that you mean, did I have to buy replacements, and not claim under the guarantee (which is supposed to be four years now, Dave — not three). Well, to contact the retailer has proved impossible, so I don't know how anyone would go on if the entire thing needed replacing! I feel that, since these feet have broken and are a part of the appliance, they ought to be recoverable at the retailer's expense, under the guarantee. However, it seemed to be impossible to contact them (the number that I was given proved to be "unrecognised"). Anyway, rather than jump through hoops (the bath-lift needed fixing quickly, for my arthritic wife's sake), I did buy a pack (4 for 31.70). Incidentally, the name of the firm that I bought the replacements from was quite, quite different to the name of the supplier of the bath-lift. Yet, on the delivery note with the new feet, it stated that it had been sold by ***** (the original retailer)! I think that what John has recommended may be a good idea — to reinforce them before using them. Recently, and by the greatest good fortune, in my work-shed, I found an unopened tube of Loctite PVC Bond (this does not seem to be obtainable any more, so I was fortunate in buying it all those years ago). I applied it, and it seems to have made a strong but not brittle bond. Also, it took very little of this precious adhesive. I shall wait until the next sucker-foot breaks, and screw in the one that I mended, and monitor its life.

John, if the appliance could not be moved after every bath, it would not be possible to clean the bath. And, anyway, the sucker bottoms have quick-release taps, to lift the sucker easily. So, I am sure that it is intended to be moved frequently.

It may be that the mended foot will prove to be stronger than the original, in which case, when all four have been stuck, there may be no further trouble (I certainly hope that this will prove to be the case).

Our bath is quite small (5ft), so the rear suckers are resting on a very slight curve, where the curved back of the bath tails off, and meets the flat bottom. This may have something to do with the breakages, since the front ones, on the flat part, have not broken (yet).

I very much appreciate the attempts to help that I have received, and I thank you both for them. Dave, for reasons too complex to go into, it would not be possible to do what you suggested (drilling etc.). Thanks, anyway!
A.W.

I was hoping that any repairs or replacements might have been underwritten by the NHS, Mr AW, but I guess that may depend on the degree of your wife's disability......and that often depends on how loud you shout! Maybe your doctor can provide more leverage if you decide to try this route - I just find it pretty hard to believe that such a necessary aid has to be self funded.
It does sound however, returning to the problem, that the slight slope of the two suckers is causing the failure of the feet due to the shearing forces involved - and I do think that some reinforcement on your part would help things greatly - you can but try.
We thank you for your update and if you think we can be of any more assistance please don't hesitate to ask!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back