Menvier TS700 Cock-Up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Menvier TS700 Control Panel connected to an unknown sounder box. It became apparent that something in the system was not working correctly, in that the alarm would not sound, nor would the strobe operate in the sounder box, if an alarm was triggered. The sounder and strobe also do not work when the test signal is used. The panel, keypad and internal alarm worked correctly.

I inspected the control panel and replaced the obviously leaking control panel battery; still no joy. Now suspecting the sounder battery, I took the opportunity to replace the old sounder box with a Texecom Odyssey 2 sounder box and wired it as per the instructions; still no joy. However, the LEDs on the Odyssey led me to the fact that the sounder was not being supplied with power from the control panel. I replaced the blown 1A fuse in the '12v' fuse housing in the control panel; still nothing! :evil:

It was then that my further investigations led to my major cock-up. I disconnected the control panel mains power supply to check the battery; the keypad, correctly, showed PF (power failure). I then disconnected the battery so that the control panel and keypad were completely unpowered. When I now re-connect either the battery or the mains power, the keypad shows 0000 for a few seconds, and then indicates TP008 and the control panel siren goes mental; entering the keycode has no effect whatsoever, and the only way to stop the siren is to disconnect the battery/mains power.

Any help/pointers appreciated. I suppose that's why it's called DIY-not!

Cheers,

Mark

Sponsored Links
As you've found out, it's not generally a good idea to totally down power a panel unless you don't have a choice! (ie, locked up/won't respond)

Are you sure the display says "TP008" as the TS700 starburst keypad can only display 4 characters. There's also no such event as "TP008". The closest thing I can think of is TA08, which would be a tamper on zone number 8.

Try powering the system back up and entering 5678. This is the default manager code. Though this should'nt happen, it's possible that by downpowering, you have inadvertantly reset the panel to its factory settings. If 5678 works, the panel will need re-programming.

With regards to the bell box issue, if the bell fuse had blown and replacing it has not made a difference, you probably have a damaged bell cable, probably under the carpets somewhere upstairs. A multimeter would be a good way of testing the cable's integrity.

Hi Scott1980,

Thanks for the reply.

I managed to half resurrect the TS700, after finding an installation manual for the TS690 on the web; the basic elements were the same and I used the engineer's code to silence the panel alarm. Further to the fault code, it was indeed only a 4-digit number - apologies - a senior moment on my part! Having put the box back together, what I am left with now on the keypad is 07-t through to 10-t, with all other circuits (1-6 and 11-16) healthy. I find this somewhat strange, as the panel is only wired and configured for 6 circuits.......

Regarding the problem of supplying power to the sounder box, I do believe, as you suggested, that there must be damage to the bell cable. I managed, by trial and error, to power the sounder using 3 of the 6 wires in the cable, but even that was intermittent. I have tried to trace the path of the bell cable from the panel, but it goes straight into the wall behind the panel, and I believe that it must be fed under the floorboards of the upper floor; it exits the house from the masonry behind the sounder.

The TS700 was installed in 1995, so I think it's time for a new panel and keypad; would the Texecom Veritas Excel be a suitable replacement?

The bell cable is more of a problem. It was fitted when the house was built so the run is completely hidden. What options would you suggest are available to me?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

07T to 10T basically means that those zones are in tamper. As above, it sounds like the panel has lost it's programming and reverted to factory settings (which is all zones programmed on, hence the reason you are now getting tamper faults on zones 7 to 10).

I bet if you check the zone terminals in the panel for zones 7 and 8 (9 and 10 are in the back of the keypad, not the panel), you won't find anything wired into them. This will confirm the above. If it has defaulted, I would say it's time for new (15 years is good going, especially if it's never been serviced). The Veritas Excel is fine. Not as proven/sturdy as the 700 was, but it'll do the job.

As for the bell cable, I'd run a new one in. Depnding on your house, this could be fairly simple, or a bit of a mare. If the panel's in the airing cupboard, and you have an apex at the front of the house, you can simply re-route the cable from the cupboard, through the loft and out to the bell (you may have to move the bell from it's current position if it's not already on the apex)

As I say, hard to tell you without seeing the house. A good installer will find a way to put a new cable in without it being on show at all.

Sponsored Links
Hi again,

Thanks once more for the advice. I agree, it seems like it's time to buy a new panel and keypad. It's the bell cable that's going to be the problem.......

Cheers,

Mark

For the sake of a few quid why not get a multimeter to test the bell cable and put wire links in the unused tamper terminals of the panel/keypad?

The bell cable only uses five of the six cores so if one is damaged (and you know which one it is) then you can simply substitute it for the spare one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back