Merit/demerit of 2 pole switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has seen that my 20, 30 amp hot water switches are 2 pole unlike the lamp switches that are only 1 pole (hot wire). Who can tell me the requirements that require a 2 pole switch? What are the benefits or safety features of the 2 pole switch? thnx. And please don't worry anyone-i would not touch one with a ten foot rubber screwdriver as i am not 'vocationally trained and certified competent'.

Sponsored Links
The "lighting" switch only disconnects the phase conductor.

In electrical terms, both phase and neutral are considered live terminals and many items (eg water heaters, central heating, cookers, etc) mandate complete isolation with both phase and neutral being disconnected.

So a double pole switch is required for those situations.

PS Dear UK pedant. Please don't pick at my use of "phase". The OP is not from round here and I di not want to mix up the terms line and live in my explaination.

Thanks for those thoughts but am left unsatisfied. Who, exactly, 'mandates' and why for the high amp items? Really am interested in the why the high amp switch is treated differently than the simple low amp switch. Any news on that Q? Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Usually manufacturer's instructions will mandate that, or it could be a regulation.

In the UK we have a British Standard (7671) called Wiring Regulations where double pole may also be required in certain situations or supply types.

This may not apply to where you are located.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back