Mesh Tap Filters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having put up for ages with a trickle from the kitchen hot water tap - the cold was better from the same tap, I had the long overdue idea of checking the tap filter. On unscrewing this, it was full up with scale and bits. The hot water ran freely without it. Do I have to replace the filter (I have now cleaned it)? The tap runs perfectly well without it. The water has a softener and is not drinking water as I have a separate tap for this. What function do these meshes provide - other than restricting the flow!

Sponsored Links
Having put up for ages with a trickle from the kitchen hot water tap - the cold was better from the same tap, I had the long overdue idea of checking the tap filter. On unscrewing this, it was full up with scale and bits. The hot water ran freely without it. Do I have to replace the filter (I have now cleaned it)? The tap runs perfectly well without it. The water has a softener and is not drinking water as I have a separate tap for this. What function do these meshes provide - other than restricting the flow!

The mesh is as you say a filter periodically must be cleaned.

If there is a leak, you can use a tap reseating tool to clear the thread of the taps and use a new washer.

The other option is to change the tap(s).

I understand that filters should be cleaned, but is it necessary to use the filter at all if the water is not for drinking. The tap operates better without it.

It is not a filter but an aerator to minimise splashing.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks - I didn't know that. There is more or less no splashing without the filter (aerator) so I shall leave it off. No more waiting for the sink to fill, ie wandering off to do something else and forgetting and losing all the hot water.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back