messy solder joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The old man and I have been trying to learn the dark arts of soldering copper tube and fittings. We can make a water-tight joint but it looks messy and the solder doesn't get all the way round the joint. Where are we going wrong?

Sponsored Links
Most likely the joint isn't clean enough, or hot enough, or both.

It can't be too clean. Use a decent flame.

Sponsored Links
doitall said:
Too hot is the biggest problem with most DIYers

Agreed - a nice gentle, steady heat - you are not trying to weld the joint and it should not glow red. :eek: If the copper turns a dark colour it's too hot.

Plenty of Laco (flux), immaculate copper, not too much heat, just enough solder to make the joint (slightly more than pipe diameter). That was what I was taught and it has servered me well. There may be some Martian technique, but I am sure you'll know if there is

Cleaning the copper is most important; then an EVEN heat over the pipe and fitting. Remember the Solder will run towards the heat. :!:

Wipe the joint off with a damp cloth when you are done.

I often give a wipe of flux during the process as it helps disperse the heat better/evenly. I don't care if it is an unneccesary thing to do - it works for me, and I do very well by it.

Just don;'t use Powerflow.

FatGit said:
The old man and I have been trying to learn the dark arts of soldering copper tube and fittings. We can make a water-tight joint but it looks messy and the solder doesn't get all the way round the joint. Where are we going wrong?
hey mate....its easy...the more you do it the more the easier it becomes...ive just finished plumbing in my entire bathroom and soldering copper pipes in the ceiling....only had 1 slight pinhole leak..which i reheated (TURNING THE WATER OFF - FIRST)...watch this video here:
http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_3d_index.asp?page_id=35749917

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back