Help with my soldering technique

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've refitted quite a few bathrooms using pushfit only but have now reached the stage where I need to solder a few joints for tight shower fittings. I've been practicing soldering some end feed joints based on advice and a few online videos but I'm doubting my work. I have thoroughly cleaned and fluxed all joints, the solder gets sucked in nicely and it seems a very sound joint BUT the copper is getting very discoloured when I heat it and the outside looks pretty messy with solder everywhere. The blowlamp Ive brought doesnt seem very precise it blasts out a very large flame only which probably doesnt help. Anyway what I want to know is any of this likely to compromise the integrity of the joint or is it fine and just that neater work comes with experience??

Thanks in advance for your advice. :)

Sponsored Links
Copper is getting too hot - the mess of solder is due to lead free stuff - it runs everywhere. If you cant turn the flame down wave it about over the joint and take it off the joint to regulate the heat. Like we used to do with paraffin lamps;)

If the copper is becoming discoloured, apply less heat. It will burn the flux away hence the solder beading up.

You say the solder gets sucked in but then goes everywhere, it sounds like you're using too much solder. It only needs to fill the joint so that you can see a ring of solder all round the fitting when it cools. In college they teach you to use the same amount of solder as the diameter of the pipe (15mm of solder for a 15mm pipe etc). This tends to be modified with experience though.

Plenty here can solder far better than I can but it's a starting point.

Edit, crossed posts.

I have to agree with the lead free solder Nige, I never have got the hang of it for the vertical joints. I think I've probably lost the knack with lead solder by now.

Sponsored Links
My DIY plumbing got a lot better when I invested in a Rothernberger Blow Torch. The flame can be accurately controlled to suit the size of fitting being soldered.

Thanks for the advice guys. I suspected it was too much solder and too much heat so will continue to practice. I am going to exchange my blowlamp as it doesnt maintain a steady flame, if set low it blows itself out and if set high it keeps pulsating into massive fireballs. Out of interest, if I am applying too much heat, why wasnt the solder melting andtaking to the joint sooner? Would it be because my heat was targeted fully on the endfeed joint rather than over the whole pipe area?

Although the standard advice is 'heat the fitting not the pipe' I do find it helpful to put maybe a third of the heat onto the pipe. Also I suspect you're trying to heat it too quickly. As Bernardgreen says a good torch will help. I have a 'bernzomatic ts7000' which is very similar to the rothenberger, works upside down etc.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Been using less flux and less solder and its looking better now. This crappy torch isn't helping, it wont hold a steady flame and the switch just broke - I'll send it back and invest in a better one! The Rothenberger Superfire2 seems to be the tool of choice unless anyone has better suggestions? Cheers

Too much heat oxidises the pipe and the solder bounces off like there's a force field. Always heat the back of the fitting to where the solder is being applies. The solder runs to the heat.

I always use a DRY cloth before and after applying heat.

Yes BEFORE applying heat. Solder goes wherever there is flux. One of the old codgers here once suggested he draw a line with a pencil around the shoulder of the fitting and that stopped the solder adhering further down/up. Can't say I 've tried it though.

54 Glebe (31).jpg

I believe Dan said he uses electrical solder for his joints - forgive me if I'm wrong.

The man is poetry in pipework.

As Dan says, wipe off excess flux before soldering a joint, you could apply a little heat as flux runs, stop and wipe again, then heat and solder. Solder will only run and stick where there is flux.

Don't hold your flame too close to the work ( about six inches) the rothy is a good torch.

A bit of practice and a decent torch, you'll be fine. Trying too hard can fluck up what would have otherwise been a perfectly good joint as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back