Metabo 10.V drill does not turn too easily

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Metabo powermax BS Basic
This is just under two years old, July 2016. So pretty well used for a 50m sq extension, 70 sheets of plasterboard etc.
Today it intermittently starts and over runs as well, instead of braking to a stop.
Not sure if it wear and tear or the brushes?
Charged battery, battery indicator shows a full charge.
Pull the trigger and the light comes on but does not turn. If I try to rotate the chuck it may turn. Slightly better in reverse than forwards.
There is a three year warranty but does not cover wear and abuse.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metabo-P...777363?hash=item5b3c1118d3:g:JBIAAOSwR-ZahVxW

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Wear and abuse in my book (unless you have really abused it) shouldn't be questioned within 2 years or purchase, especially at a DIY level, so I'd just take it back to Metabo.

I've had a look at the exploded drawing for that model and as I suspected it's a sealed motor unit. That drill is also sold under the mafell brand but unfortunately doesn't carry the level of quality that either brand portrays themselves to hold.

Sealed motor units can often be short-lived, cheap, made in China and as they're sealed, practically impossible to service without damaging them.

Thank you for your comments, I had no idea about the motor unit. I'll contact them to see what they say...

If you have no luck with Metabo and want to replace with a similar drill Makita do an excellent 10.8 volt brushless drill driver and offer a 3 year guarantee on registration. I have one in that range, it is excellent.

Blup

Sponsored Links
If you have no luck with Metabo and want to replace with a similar drill Makita do an excellent 10.8 volt brushless drill driver and offer a 3 year guarantee on registration. I have one in that range, it is excellent.

Blup

I've got the Makita brushless CXT drill driver too and I wouldn't be without it. I use that and the brushless impact when doing second fix work or any of my 18v drills and drivers are overkill.

Also have the CXT angle impact driver and I ordered they keyed version of the angle drill from Germany, some reason only the keyless version in the UK. Brilliant kit.

Sounds to me like the electronics are dud - the "braking effect" is AFAIK a current reversal - i.e. electronic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back