Metal Casement Window security locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have a view on the best type of additional security lock for a metal casement window? Being metal framed makes fixing additional locks difficult?

Currently we have a couple of the type below which screw onto the handle.

View media item 10856
Cheers, Brian.

Sponsored Links
you can get small metal locks that screw to the frame and to the casement. this involves drilling and tapping holes. although more work to fit, they add a lot of strength in holding the window shut, so are better than devices that just block the handle. Ingersoll and Chubb make them. Steel windows are uncommon now so they may be hard to find.
for example this is a Chubb 8K106
Default.aspx

sit down before you look at the prices

&width=300&height=300

Sponsored Links
Cool - they're called Crittall windows (still being made) and you can get locking handles, concealed bolts and replacement pegs from them.

www.crittall-windows.co.uk

I've got one of these windows at the side of my house on a landing and I secure it with something similar (got it in Makro 25 years ago) to what's in your pic ... machine screw (keyed) through stay arm with a short arm hooking under the stay rest. The security of the window relies on the stay being held in position and I suppose if the glass was broken the hoodie-scum wouldn't be able to lift the stay from it's rest.

If the window will not need to be opened consider drilling a couple of holes through the frame and secure with self-tapping screws (the cheap option).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back