Metal Consumer Unit and glands (indoors)

You can mastic over the cut between the two holes to reinstate the ip rating. it only needs to be a saw blades width. what is it with using stuffing glands on a cu?? just clip the cable and use a blind grommet with the correctly sized slot made in it. I really do hope you have friends who will carefully check your work, it's what you dont know that can be dangeous, not the things you are unsure of! BTW if they are going to sign it off, it most certainly isnt legitimately just so you know, however this behaviour does go on and it is frowned upon by anyone with a concience.

Sponsored Links
You can mastic over the cut between the two holes to reinstate the ip rating.
Or just space the holes so that 2 regular grommets butt up and cover the cut.

BTW if they are going to sign it off, it most certainly isnt legitimately just so you know, however this behaviour does go on and it is frowned upon by anyone with a concience.
Nor is it the sort of behaviour you'd ask someone who really was a friend to do.

There are exceptions to the rule, but no way would i be signing anything off that had been constructed and energised in my absence. i would want to thoughroghly check EVERYTHING as is was being installed and certainly i would be testing before installing and energising, the lot could blow up in your face otherwise.

Sponsored Links
BAS: Which is why I asked.

I joined a forum to ask the things I'm unsure on. Like regs on glands, getting dno to sort earth.

What's the point in this forum? Can't be for sparkies only as you already know everything!!

Although you didn't even notice the separate tail issue! :p

But seriously, I have a thin T&E cable supplying my whole house. Thinner than that required to power my shower ffs.

But I can't change this until the meter company see an EIC! Why would one be available on an old installation? Why would one be possible on an old installation?

It's chicken and egg and it's a joke.

I need the isolator changed from the old voltage ELCB that doesn't work but that can't be done until I change the whole system and get EIC for it!!!! Because if an EIC can only be applied to work done by the issuer then a whole rewire is in order just to get a king isolator changed!!!

Come to think of it...I'll ask them if a PIR will do. That can be done retrospectively.

The regs would rather see people burn in their homes than have things just fixed. They encourage DIY electrics...not discourage.

Money over safety, bureaucracy over safety.

I tell you what...I'll go away and act incompetent to keep you happy in your position BAS? ;)

1: I'll install my shower on the current set-up on 2.5mm T&E on a wired 40amp fuse (old 7.5 shower was on this - I removed it).
2:I'll ignore the bonding I spotted was missing
3: Ignore the earth I had installed as I also noticed that was missing.
4: I'll rebury professionally installed flex into the wall which was joined with earth electrical tape and plastered over!!!
5: I'll reverse the removal of the outside lights and pop them back onto an unprotected 6amp fuse.
6: I'll refit the multiple spurs on the kitchen ring. 6! One actually off another spur!
7: I'll put the upstairs lights back on to an old junction box with bare conductor pushed in like a banana through keyhole!

It goes on and on. And I've been cleaning it up.

I'll revert back to blissful ignorance and not even bother trying to update my electrics.

Am I qualified? No. Do I know as much as an electrician? No...not at all. I wouldn't even begin to suggest that. Am I competent? Yes. Seemingly more than some in your very own profession.

Listen, I'm doing the work, nice and neatly and very well researched. Before even switching on my friend will check over the setup (he has told me I'm bang on with what I have) and will check everything before.

But I can't do anything until he's back of hols and the meter company change my isolator.

And as for a CU blowing up. Stop the ridiculous scare mongering guys.

Cue the "let me tell you about ignorance" preach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back