Use/purpose of Gland when installing garage consumer unit

Thanks SS, but its still not taking. Ive got two chewed up glands now!

Heres some pics. Maybe im going wrong somehere?

^ my chewed up glands

Sponsored Links
glands.jpg

DAMN!!! ooops. I was recently doing some plumbing using compression fittings and thought it had to be done similar to that.

I guess I misunderstood. I was supposed to spread the steel over the olive thing! No wonder it wasnt tighening.

Gonna give it another go now.

Sorry for ****ing ppl off. Cheers guys for all your help. :oops:

Ok I think I have finally managed to do it. Here it is:

glandexposed.jpg

I will be replacing gland with new one as this ones been buggered by my stupidness! :oops:

Anyways Ive now hit a new problem.

Im bringing in the SWA from the top. Ive knocked out a hole, but its too tight for me to bring in the inner core and tighten it up with the earting ring. The earth bar of the Cu is coming in the way.

cosumerunit.jpg

glandfitted.jpg

I can tighen it up with great difficulty without the earthing ring of the gland. But its imposible to do it with the ring on as its much wider and the CU hole wont take it.

So what shall I do instead?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
That looks much better. Picture worth a thousand words and all that.
To avouid the banjo in the box, you can have the banjo outside the box, and using a small bolt through a new small hole into the box, and pick up the earth inside as if it were a bolt-stud terminal.
separate the insulted cores of the inner and gently massage them under the box gubbins to where you want them.
Now, given what happened last time, wait for five other posters to make it clearer what was really meant before you attempt it yourself... :LOL:
don't worry - we learn our limits by attempting to go beyond. Good job the glands are not too dear eh?

:idea: good thinking batman!!

Im gonna give that a go and will post a pic. I "THINK" I know what you are saying :confused: :LOL:

edit, is there any requirement for the nut to be? Does it have to be made of a certain metal or wil any small nut do?

Cheers.

I use brass M4 nuts panhead screws and washers- they do not rust.

If using the earth gland on the outside of the CU, tighten up the gland assembly making sure that the tag is in the correct position. Then drill 4mm hole through and put the panhead screw through (with head on outside), making sure you have a washer inbetween it and the earth tag.

Then what I do is put another washer on the inside, followed by the earth tag (usually a bit of 4mm2 single terminated in a crimp-on ring terminal), another washer, then a nut. Tighten the whole lot with a screwdriver from the outside, while holding the earth nut securely with pliers or similar.

thanks SP. But everytime I seem to be making progress I hit another brick wall.

I did what map said and put earth tag on the outside. Screwed a hole but then the trouble began again.

The CU earth rods plastic mounting will not allow me to place a nut in the gap to tighten up. Even with the tag fully horizontal and trying to get it as far away from the plastic mountings for the earth rod in the CU, there is only enough space for the bolt and not the nut to tighten it.

So now i think the only option is the take the earth tag back into the wall. I will then put a back box in the place where the CU will go.

Ive got an old earth rod/strip from old CU. Attach that to the hole in the earth rod. Then screw in an earth wire o the rod and then take it ino the box.

Is this acceptable? I cant see any other way to do it. Will try to post some pics of what Im thinking of tommorow.

You could bring the SWA in elsewhere?

If not, there is another way, but not as pretty. You could keep the earth tag on the outside, and tighten up as usual, then bend the earth tag so the end where you attach the earth lead is away from the CU body, enough to attach an earth lead as previously discussed. Then you drill a small hole,in a suitable position, just enough to let the earth lead into the box, and terminate it.

Thanks Sp. Sorry im slow on the uptake as you all may have gathered. But I have done the following. Is this acceptabe?

Basically the earth tag will go into the wall. Well there will be a back box.

Then ive drilled a hole to bring in the earth in the CU. Ive used an old earth rod thingy from an old CU and bolted it onto the earth tags hole and then used the ports in the rod to attatch the earth wire.

is it too cowboy? :confused: Do electricans improvide like this on installations or should it not be done like this. There werent many other alternatives that i could see myself.

Maybe next time I should buy a more expensive Cu, which is designed better. This one was made in germany. Surely it should be easier to fit the gland into the CU? Everything other thing kepps coming in the way! :cry:

heres some pics:

glandearth7.jpg

glandearth6.jpg

glandearth4.jpg

glandearth3.jpg

glandearth1.jpg

Tacky.

You should crimp an eyelet to the earth cable and attach it directly to the banjo.

As for your other Q, CUs, particularly small ones, are simply not designed to have SWA terminated in them - you'd have been better off terminating it in a metal box next to the CU, leaving the cores very long and taking them, and the earth flylead, into the CU.

BTW - I'm curious about the SWA core colours - red, blue & brown?

THanks for your reply.

The earth looks brown but its not. Its infact transparent, hence looks brown due to the cable inside.

Dunno wh it is transaprent though. Cable is 6 years old maybe thats the reason!

Ok. Regarding terminating the gland in a metal box. What kind of box would i need. This seems much simplier than what im doing at the moment.

Im assuming it has to be a special box?

Cheers m8. Off to buy one. Will post pics to let you all now how im getting on :LOL:

I think ill get two. Use the other to take it into the Cu in the house end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back