Power to a Garage - Correct cable and consumer unit

19 Mar 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to this.

I've recently moved into an old property and although there is a mains cable coming into a detached garage (wired to a socket), there is nil power. Looking at the consumer unit in the Hall, there is no switch for external/garage supply so presumably, it's coming off a socket in the main house somehow.

I can't trace it as it appears to go underground ? (any thoughts/tips?).

Anyway, if I start afresh, I guess I will need an armoured cable (which I beleive is also called SWA ?) and I've seen this on Screwfix which I'm not sure will be OK or not?


My questions are:

1. If I run a SWA to the proposed consumer unit, by burying the SWA underground, what do I connect the SWA to in the main house (non garage end) so that there is a supply ? How can you do this ? The main consumer unit in the Hall is approx 15m away from the garage).

2. Do I have to run any of this through Building Control re Part P ?

3. Once the 2 way consumer unit is in the garage, how easy is it to connect the SWA, then, the feeds to the desired socket, light (via two switching etc.).

Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
1. connect to a metal clad, 30mA rcd enclosure which is fed from a 32A breaker in the consumer unit. wired in 6mm cable..

2. Yes as it's notifiable to the LABC under Part-P of the building regulations.

3. if you have to ask these questions it will be easier and cheaper to get in a part P registered electrician to do the work...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links