Metal cutting blade for chop saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a makita compound mitre saw, and I want a metal cutting blade for it.

The blade is 190mm with a 20mm bore.

I need to cut some steel balluster tubes - Richard Burbage Fusion II to be exact. I only need to cut 4 or 5 of them to length, so I don't want to go to huge expense.

Any body got any experience?

If I cant find one the other option is an angle grinder stand for my 4½" grinder and a couple of cutting discs, which should cost about £25, so the blade can't be super expensive.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought a stihl saw hire (with metal blade) would be better....and possibly easier to get a straighter cut over an angle grinder.

A blade for a chop saw would cost similar i would have thought......if you can find one.

Hack saw will be the cheapest and safest option.

I think you're pulling my leg. Getting a straight & square cut on a polished chrome tube with a hacksaw? Not something I could manage, the ballusters are about £12 a pop, so I don't want to make too many mistakes.

Sponsored Links
OK Paul, a couple of facts; cold cutting saws are designed to cut steel with a carbide tipped blade tend to run specially designed large blades at low speeds, e.g. 350mm, 72 teeth @ 1300 rpm. Woodworking saws tend to run smaller blades at much higher speeds, e.g. 190mm @ 6,000 rpm. THAT'S why woodworking mitre saws aren't suitable for cutting metal - they just run far too fast to be safe.

As to using a hacksaw being a leg pull, well no, I don't think so. If you'd done metalwork at school you'd have learned that a hand hacksaw, properly used, with a decent file to clean-up afterwards, can produce a very good result. But it takes a bit of skill and patience

If you haven't the skill to use a hacksaw, then the only alternative seems to be to buy something like an angle grinder with a cut-off stand. It's your call

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
OK Paul, a couple of facts; cold cutting saws are designed to cut steel with a carbide tipped blade tend to run specially designed large blades at low speeds, e.g. 350mm, 72 teeth @ 1300 rpm. Woodworking saws tend to run smaller blades at much higher speeds, e.g. 190mm @ 6,000 rpm. THAT'S why woodworking mitre saws aren't suitable for cutting metal - they just run far too fast to be safe.

As to using a hacksaw being a leg pull, well no, I don't think so. If you'd done metalwork at school you'd have learned that a hand hacksaw, properly used, with a decent file to clean-up afterwards, can produce a very good result. But it takes a bit of skill and patience

If you haven't the skill to use a hacksaw, then the only alternative seems to be to buy something like an angle grinder with a cut-off stand. It's your call

Thanks for the pointers - no I didn't do metal work at school, it wasn't availabe at my school. My experience of cutting chrome tube with a hacksaw is that I get a skew cut with a scratched finish.

The angle grinder stand is an option - I have a 4½ angle grinder and metal cutting discs are pennies, but even a budget stand like the ones Machine Mart sell are £20+
060522008.jpg

Evolution do a metal cutting disc for their "Rage" machines, which is the correct sizes, and I don't care if it goes blunt after 6 cuts, I only need to make 4. I wondered if anyone knew of a cutting blade that would do this.

These ballustrade spindles are Ø20mm tube probably less than a millimetre wall thickness, accuracy is what I am trying to achieve.

Lastly a plumbers pipe cutter will do the cut, but also necks the tube and the fixing will not fit onto it afterwards - I was warned off this method by the techies at Richard Burbage,

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Lastly a plumbers pipe cutter will do the cut, but also necks the tube and the fixing will not fit onto it afterwards - I was warned off this method by the techies at Richard Burbage,

It's what I would do, and clean up with a small round file as per previous suggestions.

My experience of cutting chrome tube with a hacksaw is that I get a skew cut with a scratched finish.
Have you tried taping the pipe with masking tape where you want to cut, making a start cut with the edge of a half round or tri-hook (triangular) file drawn backwards across the metal then using the hacksaw? Cheap and chearful. Works for me

The angle grinder stand is an option - I have a 4½ angle grinder and metal cutting discs are pennies, but even a budget stand like the ones Machine Mart sell are £20+
Yes, but just how much did your ballusters cost?

Evolution do a metal cutting disc for their "Rage" machines, which is the correct sizes, and I don't care if it goes blunt after 6 cuts, I only need to make 4. I wondered if anyone knew of a cutting blade that would do this.
And it's designed for their machine. If you want to do this why not buy a Rage? (personally I wouldn't, but then....) I doubt you'd get any joiner on here to recommend putting that blade into another maker's woodworking saw for the reasons I've given above

PS Just checked - the Evo Rage 3 sliding compound mitre saw has a no-load speed of 2500 rpm, the 185mm metal cut-off saw (Rage 4) is also pretty slow which sort of confirms my gut feeling about blade speeds

OK thanks for all that, food for thought - I can make a few trial cuts on the shortest one I need.

I will try a pipe cutter first and see if I can file or swage the cut to accept the end fixing, it will be the cleanest cut.

I have found a draper blade that is labelled metal cutting, we'll see.
The mitre saw is the 18V one, max speed 2200 rpm.

I also have a multi tool, which might do a decent cut.

Reluctant to use a grinder as I think it will blue the chrome from the heat.

Your other option is to find a local engineering co. with a power hacksaw and bung them a tenner to do it for you.

all good ideas, I'll let you know how I get on.

It's all part of refurbishing our stairs, I need to get the new treads and risers fitted (over the old) first, but I should get it sorted at the weekend, hopefully.

Reluctant to use a grinder as I think it will blue the chrome from the heat.
Not if you rig up a coolant stream (soapy water in an old squeezy bottle)

Now you have given me an idea, I have one of those already - a pukka one for diamond core drilling through tiling (wetroom conversion last year), it would be a simple matter to adapt it for this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back