Metal dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it normal to get a current flowing through a metal-faced light switch? I can't feel it to touch but, my little electrical-tester screwdriver lights up when in contact with the plate.

I have recently installed a dimmer switch with a metal facia. I use it to control a set of 3 x 20W 12v lights and it is designed for use with a low voltage system.
I have earthed the metal dimmer facia as directed by the instructions.

Sponsored Links
i know its late but if you are sure you have earthed your switch i wouldnt worry them screwdrivers are as much use as a chocolate teapot

If the neon indicator in your screwdriver is lighting, this indicates that there is a voltage present on the plate. The reason that you cannot feel any thing is probably because you are insulated from earth and the current flowing is very small, I note that you said that you had earthed everything. I'd be aliitle concerned about the efficiency of the earthing system. If your neon can detect a current flow, then your earth may be high resistance. Using a multimeter, measure the resitance of your electrical earth to a cold water pipe. It should read less than 1 ohm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back