Metal Door Frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently in the process of renovating a 1940 / 50's Ex Council House...

On deciding to lightly sand the door frames to enable a better base for painting - I have discovered that the door frames are metal ??

I have never seen, or heard of this before..

We had considered replacing them, but I'm just wondering if they could be structural ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated... Along with advice on the best way to strip them

many thanks

Sponsored Links
they are very common, whole steel french doors (with added glass)

whole window frames in steel, seen loads, there is an area a few miles from here called "tin town" guess why, yes the houses are made from steel (ok stell clading) and guess what the windows are made from........

oh to stip them try paint stripper

Our very first 1950’s ex-corporation house had steel door frames & I managed to re-use one removed from a wall I demolished during the changes we did there so it still matched the rest. It was a bugger to get out though as the casing profile was filled with cement.

They frames were pre-formed & used on many of the very large council/corporation housing estates that were built in the 50’s as quick way of forming accurate door openings as the build went up without the need for a chippy. They were a direct replacement for timber frames & do not necessarily denote they are structural; although this may be possible I suppose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back