Metal Herringbone Strutting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to install some of these mid-span of my room-in-roof attic trusses (above detached garage) and wanted to know if they only provide lateral (read sideways I think) support to stop the joists wanting to turn over or do they help spread the load across the neighbouring joists in any form?

I imagine solid blocking would maybe transfer more of the vertical load than metal strutting would? as I notice on my truss plans 'solid' blocking is required under the strutting points but for the mid-span just blocking is called for.

Thanks

C.

Sponsored Links
Neither will really transfer any vertical loading, they are to prevent twist in the timbers, or turning over as you put it.
A binder will spread loading to some extent (or lots of counterbattens, as covered gazillions of times in here), but this must be installed on top of the joists themselves.

Just solid block it all, will be cheaper (oh, you've already bought them :rolleyes: )

Thanks for that.

I've actually only just purchased enough herringbone for the middle strutting, will solid block the other two points as per TRADA diagram.

Just wondered why solid blocking was specifically stated over any other type - I've read about the disadvantages (shrinkage and stuff) so wonder what the advantage reasoning would be.

Cheers

C.

Sponsored Links
No idea, maybe the truss components will be in the way of fixing herringbones to top/bottom of joists?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back