Ceiling joists in raised truss roof

yfb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post so please go easy... :)

Renovating my mid-terrace property in South Wales, and have found myself scratching my head about ceiling joists.

The property has a raised-truss roof construction, i.e. rather than 'proper' ceiling joists, there are collar trusses which rest mid-span on an internal half-brick partition, but at each end are just nailed to the rafters and don't bear directly onto a wall plate.

I've taken down the old lath and black mortar ceilings, which had sagged badly (the trusses are only 3 x 1 3/4 and have bowed in the middle under the weight). My plan was to leave the trusses in situ, so as not to interfere with the triangulation of the roof, and to put up new 6x2 joists resting on a new wall plate.

The wall plates are in and I've put up (although not yet fixed) the joists in the front bedroom. In the back bedroom, though, I've now realised that the rear wall is lower than the front one, so whereas the front ones sit nicely across the span, the ones for the rear would effectively need to rest about 8 inches below the top of the mid-span wall in order to be level with the wallplate on the outside wall.

The joists are just to support the ceiling - there's no plan to board the attic and it'll be knee deep in insulation so not even going to be used for storage - but I'm at a bit of a loss for how to support the rear bedroom's joists at a level below that of the mid-span wall.

As the wall is only half a brick thick and built with fairly flakey black ash mortar, I don't desperately want to try knocking / cutting slots out of it so as to effectively build the ends of the joists into the wall. I'd thought about joist hangers but they all seem to need to be built in, with 600+mm of masonry on top, which doesn't apply here.

One option that seems vaguely feasible is to put up a sort of ledger plate along the top of the internal wall, bolted to the brickwork, and then to use speedy hangers off this. Not convinced that this wouldn't be susceptible to just pulling the top course or two of bricks off the internal wall, though.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I followed your description fine up to the joists needing to sit 8" down from the mid span wall? and the back wall is lower than the front wall??
Do you mean the side walls slope from front to back or are they stepped in way, say at the mid span wall.

A mid span wall normally suggests a load bearing wall in the middle of the house carrying the loads from the roof assembly, ceiling joists and all, so bear with me and I hope I'm conveying my confusion ok...pinenot

One option would be to use SFHW hangers from simpsons that require NO masonry above.

Thats presuming im understanding you correctly.
The new ceiling joists at the back of the house are sitting on a wallplate on the back wall and span onto the mid span wall, but is only 8" higher not allowing for a std masonry hanger to work ? And you dont want to create pockets in the midspan wall due to the black ash mortar ?

Would this work?

using offcuts, screw a piece to the side of each upper ceiling joist so it overlaps the wall about 6",
Screw a vertical hanger of similar section to the projecting piece, and then screw the ceiling joist to that.
You would need to mark a line on the wall to ensure the ends of the lower joists are level.
There would also be a tendency for the joists to move sideways slightly while working, but you could secure them temporarily with a batten across the tops.

Wouldn't take much weight, but if you're not using the ceiling for storage.....

Sponsored Links
It would be a lot better Tony if he already had a bit of overhang to the joist to start with rather than adding extension pieces, and I would use those large toothed timber washers for a bit more strength.

It would be a lot better Tony if he already had a bit of overhang to the joist to start with rather than adding extension pieces, and I would use those large toothed timber washers for a bit more strength.

Agreed; I just assmed his upper ceiling joists were already in. It's a bit Heath Robinson, but would avoid drilling/hacking the wall right at the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back