Metal mesh thing on windows for security - whats it called?

20 Mar 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
My house got burgled recently. Someone smashed the glass on the back door to gain access.

I have looked into retractable security grilles but I am put off by the expense and more importantly, the fact that they have to be locked via a key (fire hazard).

I think the easiest thing would be for me to install the wire/metal mesh thing over the glass like I have seen on some properties. Problem is that I can't find it anywhere and I don't even know what it's called. Can anyone help?

Any advice regarding installation or pros/cons would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links


Expanded metal (mesh) grilles fit over the glass yes, but generally over the whole opening. This is because if the window is "jemmied" the mesh will still be in place. So cannot be opened in fire unless a special method is used with a key.
Hence collapsible gates with key locking, to enable opening in case of fire so eliminating the risk. So you were correct in mentioning fire, just in the wrong context.

Mesh with locking/hinges will come out to almost the same price as a collapsible gate. However with a collapsible gate you can open them to have unrestricted views when in, and have guests around.

So your call :D
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local