Metal shed recommendation

Sponsored Links
I know 2 different people that thought they were a good idea. They purchased and changed their minds as to the worst possible decision they made, one actually threw it away. They are dreadful to put together and some have no floor.

My Yardmaster 4mx3m has been up 14 years now and still no signs of rust anywhere.

I had a concretely base put in as it was to be used as a workshop (full of tut at the moment), and built on top of that.

Took a day and a half to build (built the roof on the floor first).

Would definitely buy another.

I recently bought and erected 2 cheap Chinese-import ones (copies of Yardmasters I think).

I'm normally very speedy at unboxing, laying out to identify components, and assembling/erecting things but it took me absolutely ages(prob. 8++ hours) to do. Removing/ripping off the protective plastic from each sheet took *ages* in itself, and was not fun [I assume I was meant/required to remove it, though it didn't say in the instructions??!!??]. Erecting it was then fairly easy (a second person is of help at a couple of points), but I drilled & put in loads more screws on the roof trimming than were supplied (they would have been knocked/blown off after a single winter or so otherwise).
Adding wooden flooring was then quite expensive too.
Huge amounts of condensation on the inner roof each morning, so I then needed to stick 2cm polystyrene sheet inside the roof and that solved it completely.

All looks pretty solid and fine now, but think about the cost/effort of the whole job (especially foundations/flooring) and understand that the 'structure' is only one part. No point scrimping on that if you've spend loads of money/effort on just the foundations/flooring. But mine are okay now.

Sponsored Links
I had my yardmaster bolted on a 4 inch concrete base for 20 years.
Not a spot of rust and only the odd drop of condensation here and there.
I think the trick is to avoid filling it, so leave room for natural ventilation.
Also, for some reasons unknown to me, plastic paint pots sweat like mad, so avoid them if you can.

I had some metal sheds x 2 put in 2012, bought from screwfix, they were put up by some chaps who did the fence, straight onto concrete floor, glad they bolted them down as gale force winds would have lifted them. The panels are pretty flimsy, no rust though, very poor security, but the plastic bits on doors are beginning to come loose, i think they will fail soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back