Metal window sill - what sort of paint do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My window frames and sills are in a shocking state and I need to repaint them. Most are wood so I know what to do with them, but I have one that is metal. Is there anything I need to do different? I thought I probably need to get a different primer, but after that can I use gloss as per usual?

This is a photo of the frame in question.
View media item 78424
Thanks for your help! :)

Sponsored Links
My guess it's an old wood sill somebody has covered with an alli angle bet it's rotton as a pear underneath!

As said use special metals primer, international paints do one in a small tin I have seen it in most DIY stores, Hammerite do one too.

Thanks both,

I happened to pass a Leyland SDM earlier this morning and they sold me a Johnstones all purpose primer - it mentions metal on the can but isn't specifically for metal, here's a link to it:
http://www.johnstonespaint.com/paint-types/undercoats-a-primers/all-purpose-primer.html

Do you think it will work or should I take it back and get an aluminium primer like you mentioned instead?

My guess it's an old wood sill somebody has covered with an alli angle bet it's rotton as a pear underneath!
:mad: I hadn't thought of that. Having seen some of the other cowboy jobs in this place I bet you're right. Guess I'll find out when I strip it.

Sponsored Links
Some metals like galvanised steel. aluminium. chrome. brass. copper and stainless steel do need a primer that will grip the difficult surface. That said if you sand the alli first and then wipe off well, bearing in mind the window will not have much life left you could use the one you have at a push.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back