Metallurgy - stainless steel stain removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a stainless steel teaspoon, with an extremely long handle - probably designed for eating ice-cream from a tall glass, except I use it for making gravy in a jug. Somehow, the cup part has become discoloured and blackened, maybe someone held it over a flame and got it hot? I've tried metal scourers, they make no difference, is there a way to remove the staining please?

Sponsored Links
When my stainless flask needs an internal spruce up I fill it with hot water with a few spoons of Bicarb dissolved in it

Bar Keepers Friend will do it, it contains oxalic acid and is non abrasive to stainless steel. Most supermarkets sell it as does Home Bargains which is where I last bought some.

Sponsored Links
Bar Keepers Friend will do it, it contains oxalic acid and is non abrasive to stainless steel. Most supermarkets sell it as does Home Bargains which is where I last bought some.

Thanks I will try that too, we have a HB just a walk away.

Have you used a green nylon pan scourer yet?

Chemicals may leave their own stains. Especially acids.

Have you used a green nylon pan scourer yet?

Chemicals may leave their own stains. Especially acids.

Pan scourers have been used multiple times, over several years - in fact, every time it has been used for making gravy.

start saving up for a new Latte Spoon.
1659975740871.png

If you know, or can find out, the name of the design, you may be able to get some to match your other stuff.

At catering suppliers, in packs of 6 or more, they price from around £1 each. Sometimes you get them on ebay, singly, at several pounds plus postage.

Last edited:
Let me hazard a guess chemistry isn't your thing...?

Neither is it your's.

JohnD is correct.

Stainless steel containers are never used for acids, as they attack the metal.

Use of an acid whilst cleaning metal will etch the surface, leaving a matt finish (stain), a well known process in metal finishing.

Oxallic acid is the stuff. We use oxalliic acid crystals dissolved in water to remove black iron oxide stains in timbers like oak. Available from finishing suppliers, decoratirs whilesalers and even Boots the Chemist. I suspect Harry's stainless steel isn't stainless enough (i.e lower than normal chromium content) and has been in contact with a strong oxidiser, hence the blackening - that, or it might actually be a silver spoon which has been used on eggs (in which case it needs some Goddards silver polish)

The alternative might be a few minutes on a buffing machine with a sisal wheel (green polish for heavy deposit removal, then fine white on a fresh wheel for polishing out). That's how I polish up our everyday cutlery about every 7 to 10 years because it is going black - 45 year old cheap as chips supermarket stuff. Got a bench grinder, Harry?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me hazard a guess chemistry isn't your thing...?

by chance, I have a permanent chemical stain on the stainless sink in my futility room, where an acid descaler was used and not wiped off.

stainless is happiest in contact with plain water and air, not chemicals that may break down the protective chrome oxide film.

some budget cutlery and flatware is made with zero nickel content, and has poor resistance.

Sponsored Links
Back