Meter 40A supply 60A?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old-style meter (with the dials) says 40A max. EDF have fitted a 60A fuse, so does that mean that anything over 40A will not be recorded on the meter? Yes, I am a born optimist!!

Sponsored Links
No, but it does mean that if you draw 60A the meter will be operating outside its design limits, if it should go wrong i.e. catch fire then you will have a good case for a claim against the people who fitted a 60A fuse knowing the meter is only rated 40A.

No. It means your meter will get quite warm.

Its nothing to worry about probably, unless your running a cannabis factory, but might be worth a call to the people who send your bill to tell them your meter is likely 30 years old. They are meant to be changed more frequently than this. 10-20 years IIRC. They can get inaccurate with age.

Sponsored Links
My neighbour just popped in (a builder) and said he thinks it's something to do with single-phase rating. The actual wording is '40A max').

Yes, 40A max means that it is only rated to a maximum of 40A. If you pull 60A through it it may get warm as it is operating above its rating, worst case scenario is it catches fire.

No, but it does mean that if you draw 60A the meter will be operating outside its design limits, if it should go wrong i.e. catch fire then you will have a good case for a claim against the people who fitted a 60A fuse knowing the meter is only rated 40A.

That statement is wrong. Spark123 does not understand what the '40A max' means.

The 40A Max in the maximum current at which the meter was calibrated. Passing 60A instead of 40A will not make the meter get even very slightly warm because the losses in the meter are so low. It will not overheat and it will not catch fire.

Thanks for that! Thinking about it, there must be thousands of those meters around and Watchdog hasn't mentioned them yet so I'm sure you're right. I'll put the extinguisher away and get a couple of hours sleep now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back