meter board / fuse board broken and accessible by babies, how to have it repaired / replaced?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

a couple of years back we had someone around from Western Power Distribution (or perhaps one of their contractors) to quote for moving as close to the ceiling as possible our meter board which is currently in an awkward place at legs height in the hallway (is meter board a good term to refer to it?).

The quote was something shocking along the lines of two grands; understandable as it is all work which needs to be carried out with live current.

However, fast forward to today, we have babies and pushing the pram up and down the hallway is fitting just, and with just I mean just.
Problem we have now is that the babies are crawling and that thing is easily accessible by crawling babies, it is all broken in pieces and obviously not protected by any RCD or the likes.
Also, if I were to build a cover for it, the buggy wouldn't be able to be pushed down any longer.

Do you think that a free of charge work can be carried out to at least secure the meter board, but even better having it replaced with something more modern and hopefully slimline?
How would I go about it, does anyone have any experience with it?
Thanks all

Sponsored Links
You will, also find them shown on your electricity bill, probably near the bottom.

It may be useful to quote your meterpoint number, shown in a box on the bill, beginning with a big "S"

It is the service head that is damaged, not the "fuseboard"

Thanks both.
I believe my DNO IS Western Power Distribution, which we called two years ago to move the fuse board and we would have been charged for it.

My question now is that, seeing as it is a safety hazard, is there anything we can do to have it at least fixed or changed ( not necessarily moved) free of charge, has anyone ever had direct experience of it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It'll cost you a lot less to box it in and buy a narrower buggy.

why should the DNO repair/replace for free something that presumably the householder has damaged with the buggy

Call your District Network Operator (DNO). This is not the company that sends you you bills. You can find them here: http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html
You will, also find them shown on your electricity bill, probably near the bottom.
No real need for such (albeit minor) effort - just dial 105 from any phone (apparently including 'most mobiles') and you should be connected to the appropriate DNO for where you are calling from.

Kind Regards, John

why should the DNO repair/replace for free something that presumably the householder has damaged with the buggy
Why do we live in a world where everything is always doubted and where customer care is not existing unless money is involved ?
That thing has been broken like that since the day we moved in 5 years ago.
Regardless of the broken bits, to me it looks like this an unsafe installation, which would mean that perhaps we could be owed a refurbish FOC?
If I'm not mistaken gas companies are responsible for leaks up until the meter, is the situation different for DNOs?
Maybe the current box is not compatible with the newer smart meters?
Maybe DNOs have a duty of care?

Millions of reasons why perhaps they could do it FOC, hence why my enquiry to see if anyone here has ever been on a similar situation

I bet you can. You may not want to though.....
Yes you are right, I can but I dont want to, as that then it would mean changing car and that surely is more expensive that having tnis thing replaced. Thanks.

Surely could you not make a Slimline box that would just sit in front of the electrical gubbins. This would only loose about 20mm off the width of the hall... or is it not wide enough already?

Cause and effect knows no boundries. My daughter really struggled to get something to fit her boot and initially coped with a basic Maclaren type buggy. Which is of course not suitable for a new born.

Why do we live in a world where everything is always doubted and where customer care is not existing unless money is involved ?
That thing has been broken like that since the day we moved in 5 years ago.
Regardless of the broken bits, to me it looks like this an unsafe installation, which would mean that perhaps we could be owed a refurbish FOC?
In my opinion I'm rather surprised DNO left it in that condition 2 years ago, regardless of whether you're paying for alterations or not.

I think there is a fair chance they will make it safe, once, and not charge you.

Maybe DNOs have a duty of care?

If I have some equipment, not belonging to me, installed for my benefit in my house, and I break it, who do you think should be responsible for the cost of repair?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back