Moving meter and LABC

interference with meters comes from the electricity act 1989, schedule 7
"Interference with meters

11 (1) If any person intentionally or by culpable negligence—

(a) alters the register of any meter used for measuring the quantity of electricity supplied to any premises by an electricity supplier; or

(b) prevents any such meter from duly registering the quantity of electricity supplied,

he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

(2) Where any person is prosecuted for an offence under sub-paragraph (1) above, the possession by him of artificial means for causing an alteration of the register of the meter or, as the case may be, the prevention of the meter from duly registering shall, if the meter was in his custody or under his control, be prima facie evidence (or in Scotland sufficient evidence) that the alteration or prevention was intentionally caused by him.

(3) Where an offence under sub-paragraph (1) above has been committed, the supplier may discontinue the supply of electricity to the premises until the matter has been remedied and remove the meter in respect of which the offence was committed.

(4) Where an electricity supplier removes a meter under sub-paragraph (3) above, he shall keep it safely until the Director authorises him to destroy or otherwise dispose of it. "

or words to that effect, not going to get into a mud slinging match but i'll just say that if you do it yourself then dont come crying to us.

Sponsored Links
hee hee!

I knew that too!

but 11 (1) (a) or (b) don't seem to apply in this case so I decided to keep quiet.

Last time I looked I couldn't find anything else relating to an offence of interference with supplier's equipment.

Electricians cut the fuse seals and remove the service fuses all the time..

...and move the service head and meter. But from the OP question and subsequent posts I get the feeling this is another "urban myth" post and this will be a DIY move.

djrichie_t said:
You could always ask the electricity company (DNO) that you require a double pole isolator to be fitted before the meter. Not commonly known one but they will do it for free as they have to provide you with this if requested. Then when the person arrives to do it, slip him an extra tenner for him to move the meter for you

Perfect....although I'm not sure a tenner will be enough :cry:

...isolator to be fitted before the meter...

"before" :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
or words to that effect, not going to get into a mud slinging match but i'll just say that if you do it yourself then dont come crying to us.
This is not about someone stealing electricity, it's about moving a meter. Not interfering with its operation, not bypassing it, moving it.

So as you seem determined to carry on this charade, I'll ask you again:

If somebody did move a meter themselves, and didn't ****-up, what offence would they be charged with?

You could always ask the electricity company (DNO) that you require a double pole isolator to be fitted before the meter. Not commonly known one but they will do it for free as they have to provide you with this if requested.
News to me that they have to do it at all, let alone that they have to do it for free.

Can you point me at the legislation which imposes this requirement on DNOs, as I'd love to get mine to put one in for free.

This is not about someone stealing electricity, it's about moving a meter. Not interfering with its operation, not bypassing it, moving it.

So as you seem determined to carry on this charade, I'll ask you again:

If somebody did move a meter themselves, and didn't ****-up, what offence would they be charged with?

They could not be charged at all.

To cover my ass im saying its not adviseable to do it but hey, this is britain and i live on a council estate ;)

You could always ask the electricity company (DNO) that you require a double pole isolator to be fitted before the meter. Not commonly known one but they will do it for free as they have to provide you with this if requested.
News to me that they have to do it at all, let alone that they have to do it for free.

Can you point me at the legislation which imposes this requirement on DNOs, as I'd love to get mine to put one in for free.

When my stuff got moved I asked for one, and they put it in gratis no problem, well actually, they did have to borrow a screwdriver to connect it all up as they didn't have one small enough... That was Weston Power Distribution through EDF. I think it depends on how you ask and if it's much extra work for them, they don't seem to care about giving the kit away, as they have a van full of it, and it's not theirs. Blokes that did my stuff didn't even want a brew... Also they wern't bothered that i had installed CU & meter tails myself, or how long the meter tails were, they just got on with the job, did a quick test when they turned everything on, and off they went.

But surely your isolator is after the meter?

No you can ask for an isolator before the meter. Makes it easier for routine meter changes too.

But surely your isolator is after the meter?

Yes it is after the meter. I didn't say otherwise.

No you can ask for an isolator before the meter. Makes it easier for routine meter changes too.

I find it highly unlikely that they would fit an isolator before the meter, as it would make it a far simpler job to bypass the meter then. Many people are reluctant to cut seals and pull main fuses, but flipping a switch is a no brainer. That said, im not a sparky so who knows, but it wouldn't seem very clever.

just a final point the 25000 amp is a prospective short circuit current.
many dnos connect subs together to ensure security of supply and a property may be supplied there fore by 2 or 3 subs with fuse ratings 400a -800A EACH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back