Position of consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any rules (rather than suggestions) on positions of consumer units? Thinking about moving our (would involve getting the meter moved as well) but before I start calling people up I want to know if the idea is a starter in the first place?

I would ideally like to put it under the stairs. This would put it close to the gas meter, but the 150mm separation is achievable (I think this is the regs)

What order would this get done in? The electricity board would move the meter I assume and I would get a part P guy to do the CU. Would they both need to be here at the same time or will the electricity board connect the meter to the new CU when they move the meter?

Thanks

Stuart

Sponsored Links
No such thing as electricity board these days. Part P is a building regulation not a type of guy.

Once you get the quote from your DNO to move the meter you may well decide not to proceed with this project. Is your CU the latest metal type? If not you will have to replace it once it is taken out. There are tens of thousands of CUs under stairs in the UK.

I meant a qualified sparky that can do the self certification part P stuff (building control seems to hate DIYers doing this - maybe they have a point :))

It's actually 2 CUs (one wire fuse, one RCD) so I would get these combined into a shiny new dual load 18th edition one which reading on hear would be metal. I need to do some digging to find out exactly where the services come into the house. We are getting a porch added and the slab / footings will run through some of them. The water main is definitely getting replaced (and moved to 25mm at the same time) but I need to find where the power enters from the outside. If I'm unlucky and it is in the way then I'm going to need to pay anyway (BC claim that I can't lay the slab over the existing buried cable) so I may as well pay a bit more and get the CU moved at the same time. UK power seem to be quoting around 1K if I do the digging myself (or 3K if they do it). Seems like they really hate digging.

Your paying BC so ask them, I found it does not matter so much what the rules say, it is down to LABC inspector and what he thinks, I had to fit a fan in the wet room even with an opening window as he said on the ground floor some one can walk past open window when calling at the house.

In your case does not matter how many CU are under the stairs, if your LABC inspector does not like it, then you can't do it. Thing is the CU may be metal but the DNO stuff is not. And it is the DNO and the LABC inspector who say yes or no.

Sponsored Links
Before you go too far, get an electrician to look at the practicality of putting the CU under the stairs.
You may see it as the most desirable location, but under the stairs is one of the most difficult places to run all the cables in the house to. Lots of CUs are under the stairs, usually because they were put there before a lot of the house had been built. The wiring was probably run there even before the stairs were put in.
The trickiest issue is that the cables must be in the recognised zones for cables in walls.

good luck.

Where is the mains situated currently? And why do you want it moved?

Nowadays I seem to moving the mains AWAY from under the stairs, as people seem to be having 'cloakrooms' built under the stairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back