Consumer Unit Position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have just had a customer on the phone about the position of their consumer unit. The DNO have come to fit a new meter and because its bigger then the old meter, they want the customer to have their old CU moved as its too close to the meter at their expense. The guy says its new regs, we have never heard so was wondering if anyone knows of this new reg, or is it the DNO being t~~ts.
cheers
:eek:

Sponsored Links
New one on me, try contacting the foreman at the DNOs local depot, you may get more sense out of him or at least an answer

Sponsored Links
The board was just put where the old one was, understand about that but the guy from DNO only wants it moved by a few inches, I know it it shouldn't be on there board but most are :confused: when we go and look at jobs now do we now need to keep this in mind and tell customer we may have to move board, rip wires out of plaster etc to accomodate move. The meter could be moved slightly down so not sure of the problem that they have.
cheers

The thing is it's their board for their equipment, and if some jobsworth has had a bad day then this is what can happen.

no gas meter, the only things in the cupboard are main cut out, meter, connectors and consumer unit, bit baffled myself will try to phone them when i get 5 unless someone else knows.
cheers

yep understand that John, pity they don't tell the customer they're having a bad day and because of that bad day the customer has to pay because of said jobsworth. :mad:

It isn't fair, no, but I suppose all you can do is speak to the DNO and give the customer a quote to relocate / replace the CU. I avoid putting anything on the DNO board for this reason alone.

What's even more jobsworthy is that meters are getting smaller...

They're certainly smaller in volume, but a lot are bigger in one dimension or another, which could make it not fit. I don't see why we're assuming the DNO are being jobsworths, it's quite possible that the meter just will not fit.

The guy says its new regs, we have never heard so was wondering if anyone knows of this new reg, or is it the DNO being t~~ts.

Yes, they are being t**ts. It was not a DNO who came out as DNO's are not allowed to supply electricty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribution_Network_Operator

You had a MOP come out who is appointed by your electricty provider and they are responsible for the installation, upkeep and reading of your meter. Phone them and tell them that it is there responsibility to fit the meter and if it requires a new back board in a different position, they will have to fit it at there expense as the meter, tails and such are not your property and therefore you cant be charged for them unless you have damaged them.

There is no reg that says you cant mount your equipment onto the back board and if this was the case, 60% of all the propertys i visit would be breaking the regs.

My guess is that you are having a smart meter fitted or are changing from a billing meter to a pre-payment meter and these are quite a bit bigger that a small Ampy billing meter

Have they already changed the meter, if so don't worry about it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back