Installing a new consumer unit

There are some backboards that have the words “Board equipment only” on them. There are some that don’t.
Back in the day the backboard, supply, cutout and meter were supplied by one entity: the “Electricity Board”

That’s not the case any more.
These days 'they' expect the developer to provide the backboard and run the main cable in new builds.

Sponsored Links
Precisely.
I have known a situation where a backboard was provided by the builder in a plant room containing various electrical items, including a 4 pole isolator and tails ready to go into meter, space had been allocated on the board for meter and cut out. They also laid in a cable from the nominated location inside the boundary to the plantroom.

DNO arrived and started saying every thing had to be removed from the backboard, builder told him to put his own f****** back board up, DNO provided one from the van and builder screwed it on the existing.

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember the DNO was to provide an isolator, which they rarely did, so electricians treated the main fuse as an isolator. Although a negative times a negative is a positive, two wrongs do not make a right, but not seen any court case for an electrician drawing the fuse. For home owner yes, clearly electricity theft, but not seen an electrician taken to court.

Maybe I am wrong?

From the late 80s, I was given permission to cut seals and pull fuses on Norweb's cutouts and meters in order to do a board change.

I would then leave a completion cert and ring Norweb. They would then come after me, collect the cert and seal up.

Very handy.

For home owner yes, clearly electricity theft, but not seen an electrician taken to court.

Removing the fuse from the cut out is not electricity theft (*), abstraction requires that additional methods are used that enable electricity to be used with the meter registering that use.

(*) more accurately abstracting electricity, is a statutory offence of dishonestly using, wasting, or diverting electricity,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back