Installing a new consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I wish to replace an old consumer unit in my house but I need to obviously disconnect the tails from power first for safety.
Now,

I have a new electricity key meter attached to the tails which then go to the consumer unit, if I allowed the key meter to run out and turn off my elec then is this safe enough to install a new unit?

Thanks

Donnyboy

Sponsored Links
myself i'd much rather have the service fuse out if i had to touch the tails.

I don't know why, but somehow I have my doubts about whether you are sufficiently competent to do this job...

I understand what you are thinking Ban all sheds but would it work?
My way of thinking is that if the meter ranout thus turning off the electricity surely the consumer unit would be dead but the tails still live?

Please let me know if this is total b******s

Cheers
Donnyboy

Sponsored Links
Well no, but surely the elec meter acts as an isolator between the consumer and the consumer fuse?

I'm with Plugwash on this one, I like to be in control of my own isolation. As ban points out, are you competent do be doing this?

the meter will indeed cut the power to the tails going to the CU the question is can you rely on it doing so when you have no idea how its switching mechanism works and no positive indication of contact seperation.

Well, ok.

So what is the normal charge for fitting a new consumer unit?

Depends on what needs doing donnyboy. If all earthing,tails,main bonding and supplementary bonding are up to the present regs then you are looking at a figure of around £300 ish. However as you need a new unit I would assume that there would be more work than just testing the existing circuits and installing a consumer unit. Therefore you could be looking at figures of around £600+. Best to get 2 or 3 quotes though.

Ok, Thankyou all for your help.

I will stay alive and get quotes this week.

Thanks

Donnyboy

Donnyboy said:
Good for you, while your at it clean my boots....
That is a very intelligent and witty reply. It's so apparent that you're not in the least bit upset at your transparency being noticed.

had a new hager fusebox fitted recently and all the places that needed to be crssbonded were cost

£400 reasonable i thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back