Installing a new consumer unit

punchjoshua said:
had a new hager fusebox fitted recently and all the places that needed to be crssbonded were cost

£400 reasonable i thought.
congrats

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
the meter will indeed cut the power to the tails going to the CU the question is can you rely on it doing so when you have no idea how its switching mechanism works and no positive indication of contact seperation.

i've not had any dealings with this type of meter and I agree entirely with what you say here but for curiosity sake would the meter switch both conductors, double pole, if not wrong polarity at the head would be dangerous to say the least :confused:

wrong polarity anywhere before the CU is bloody dangerous full stop. how many people really use the main switch to isolate before doing any work rather than just using the fuse/breaker to take out the one cuircuit they need to work on lukillly its pretty damn rare in the uk (if in doubt it may be an idea to meter neutral-earth before starting any work).

and remember polarity reversal could happen before the service fuse so pulling the service fuse could suffer from the same problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back