meter move domestic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is load of information about this on the web. So i don't want to bore you.

But i thought it was strange... So let me tell you my thoughts.

I was under the impression that if you wanted your meter to be move you would have to call the electrical distributor for your area?

I want the meter to be moved about three meters (We are lowing the ceilings, at present it is at celling height 2.6m. So the best place to put it, is in the hallway cupboard at a sensible height.

Any guess is that who ever does it (distribution network operator or electricity supplier) will say that it will need to be moved outside so they can have access to it. Thats fine, although we are in a block of flats (100 flats 1930's build), but i have seen other flats have had there's moved to the service staircase.
That would also be fine.

But after phoning Uk Power Network (distribution network operator) they said that from the main supply into the building, which is in the service staircase, from there it is distributed into the flats. They will only take care of that????? WHAT.. They told me that from there it is up to the individual flats to carry out any work, although it will need to be turned off when the electrician moves the meter. The electricity supplier will have to turn off the feed into the flat for the electrician to work on.

It really dose not sound like correct information. I was under the impression that NO ONE!!!! could move the meter except for the distribution network operator, not in any circumstances as it is there equipment. Just to confirm, they said i would need to have an electrician, or who ever holds the service contract for the building to move the meter..

Does that not sound bizarre to you? :eek: maybe not.

Sponsored Links
Flats can be quite a can of worms...

Most likely there are 4 parties involved here, the usual situation is like this...

1. The DNO will be responsible for the supply into the building.

2. The freeholder or management company/committee for the building will be responsible for the distribution wiring to the individual flats.

3. Your electricity vendor or their meter operators will be responsible for the meter.

4. You/your electrician will be responsible for the wiring after the meter.

It may be necessary to get all 4 parties to cooperate to achieve this, although if there is local isolation at the building distribution point you may not need the DNO

Flats can be quite a can of worms...

Most likely there are 4 parties involved here, the usual situation is like this...

1. The DNO will be responsible for the supply into the building.

2. The freeholder or management company/committee for the building will be responsible for the distribution wiring to the individual flats.

3. Your electricity vendor or their meter operators will be responsible for the meter.

4. You/your electrician will be responsible for the wiring after the meter.

It may be necessary to get all 4 parties to cooperate to achieve this, although if there is local isolation at the building distribution point you may not need the DNO

Ok Robin, that sounds more like it. Thank you for your quick response.

Sponsored Links
Uk power network are a little different though!

They won't work on private distribution networks anymore. They are in the process of subcontracting all the existing maintenance / repairs onto others.

Therefore you will need a contractor competent in private cable networks. PM me and I can put you in touch with a firm or two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back